1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Mar 4, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As you may know, my daughter is studying contemporary fine art and I'd thought i'd share some of her latest pieces. I am not sure why, or what it means and they are works in progress. She mixes her work with photography, film and now sculpture.

the first ones, she re upholstered the small stool at the workshop that my wife does her upholstery. She cast her arm and made a silicone model from the cast, cut the chair in half and used the arm as a leg, like you do.

I particularly like one of the photographs she has done (although not sure it is finished though). I wish I'd done something like this, it must be great. Accept that this may not be to everyone taste, certainly when you consider over christmas she was making skin suits, which are currently hanging in a gallery at her uni. I may of course be biased, but considering she often lacks confidence I think these are really good.:)

[​IMG]IMG_0483 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0496 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0355 by Nigel G, on Flickr

peterba, steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not really to my taste, but then most modernist stuff isn't. Looks great though.

dream_police likes this.
  3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

She definitely has the gift of imagination. I couldn't dream anything like that up in a million years. thumbsup.gif

dream_police likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

brilliant.
    The stool? Amazing!
    The silent minority? Haunting.

Great work.
    Please pass on my congratulations.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hi Nige,
    My youngest daughter did a Visual Arts degree around 15 years ago, and I found myself visiting London University's "The Slade", and Norwich School of Art during their respective public exhibitions. Inspired, Weird, and "Way Out" all spring to mind as what I thought. How one can rate one college against another, I don't know - and that's what we were supposed to be assessing. Keep on taking record snaps. You never know - they may be the only memories of a creative period left to you in a few years time. (Don't ask me how I know!)

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Creativity is a gift, and it looks like she has that in spades. Coupled with hard work there's no limit to what she could achieve. Whether it be art or music, some people have it, but most don't. I believe it can't be learnt. I know shed loads of chords on a guitar, and can play most of them. Can I put them together to create a song? Can I buggery! Best of luck to her. ;)

Catriona likes this.
  7. dream_police

Thanks both. I just wish she believed in herself more.

8. Catriona

The curse of the creative. She is in a good environment for her to flourish. Just tell her the girl done good! That stool tableau deserves to be in an art gallery.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Creativity and the skills needed to carry out the ideas, plus humour I think in the case of the stool. Brilliant.

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Seconded!

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  11. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Striking and visually impressive, the stool made me stop and think for a while, which is what art should do I think.

It looks worthy of a place in the Tate modern in my opinion.

peterba and dream_police like this.
  12. dream_police

I have passed your comments on to Becky, to say she is made up by the comments in relation to galleries is an understatement.
    She has now got to do something as a group collab for display in a public gallery so hope that goes well.

peterba likes this.
  13. peterba

Nige, I really hope that she can put aside those doubts. The comments in this thread show that her work has struck a chord with us on here.

What's more, she's even got me agreeing with Learning! ;) :D

dream_police and Zou like this.
  14. dream_police

Oops, sorry about that.

peterba likes this.
  15. peterba

Apology accepted, Nige! ;) We all know that art can sometimes shock, but there are limits...!! o_O :D

16. Catriona

I puzzle over the most irrelevant things, but how the heck did she remove her arm and fingers from that cast??
    Oh, was it a silicone cast? I was thinking plaster of paris.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    peterba likes this.
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The more I look at these, the more they appeal. First sight was along the lines of “oh god, another student”, but they keep drawing me back. Which a better response than “wow, brilliant” and then forgetting them. I think, anyway.

In fact, yes, I think they are very, very good.

Any objection if I show them to a couple of artist friends? They know what they are talking about far better than I do.

S

Zou, dream_police and peterba like this.
  18. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hmmm. That's a very strong statement. I think you ought to have faith in your own judgment.

Catriona likes this.
  19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No, they're women. Of course they know better than a man.

S

ps actually, they do know more than I do, both art MA's, one was offered a PhD but declined on account of her age.

peterba and Catriona like this.
  20. dream_police

9CBDE529-8C09-4BBE-ABB6-4C685F6ECDCE.jpeg
    Not sure exactly how they do it, but it certainly involves silicone.

This was her having a cast made of her head which was then made into a candle for a piece last year. She said it wasn’t pleasant. I guess they did something similar for an arm. The arm is silicone with wire running through it for stability.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Zou and Catriona like this.