1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art or arrogance?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 11, 2007.

1. A But so 1906! Can't remember any canals near Staithes or Whitby though!

B was obviously a Calotype. Siege of Sebastopol 1854?

C National Geographic 1950s Bolivian farmer's Co-operative

D Certain I've have seen those twigs before - AP 14th August 1953?

So in the end I felt 1950s "gritty" realism won out (just) over romantic canals.

I do like canals though - honest!

Here's one I painted earlier (probably sensor smearing is the answer, but I prefer to see it as "art") ;)

[​IMG]

Must try it in sepia - you never know, AP might publish it. That's it! Given me a great idea - just off to de-sharpen a few photos in photoshop and convert them to Calotypes. Am I onto a winner?

Paul

2. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

E, the one under the twigs is the best ;) :D

3. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

In my opinion, 'A' is the only one with any merit at all, but then we all have our own preferences.

4. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I had to look at them for a long time before I voted, I liked them all, apart from D, for different reasons. I liked B, but ultimately as a reportage shot I feel it fails, there's too many of this kind, it's rooftop journalism, in the words of the great man it's not close enough. :D

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

In this case it was difficult to say which I liked most but it would have been easy to say which was totally scatalogical /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. rags4983

rags4983 Well-Known Member

I thought picture B was the only one worth a second glance and then because it reminded me of stories my grandfather told me about the horrific events at the end of the war which lead me to research it further later in life, not that is related directly to that picture, to be honest none of them particularly flicked my switch.

7. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

None of the pictures really grab my attention, but for me the clear winner is Picture A - a very pleasant and nicely captured scene. Picture B just looks like a poor quality newspaper print. Picture C is okay, but I don't find it particularly attractive or interesting. And Picture D is just rubbish - it amazes me that anyone would vote for this one!

Terry.

8. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

Well I went with A since it is closest to something I'd put on the wall. 'C', nice idea but not engaging as a picture.

B: dramatic but nothing to place it in history and lots of soldiers have probably taken images of their ordinance landing on somebodyso I can see nothing special about this particular round exploding.

D: Damien must be having a laugh. :)

9. bigsky

bigsky Well-Known Member

Like most (at least at the time of writing this) i went n the end for A but only because there isn't a "none of them" button ;) B is like one of those pictures you think oo look something's happenng over there i'll get a shot of it even though it's miles away. C is just yawn seen loads of this sort of thing and D is just plain rubbish although again at the time of writing it is attracting either genuine votes :D or people taking the mickey

Neil

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Well none of them are great but I went for C as at least it has some character and story there.

A is OK but pretty standard, seen a thousand of them before but usually better and more interesting.

B is OK, looks like its had a lot of wear and tear and obviously holds some history in it but today you see it all the time, but better.

D just looks like a contact print or bad wind on :D

So I went for C, its well exposed, sharp, looks like there's a story there and I keep wondering what it's about, the guy's face and pose has character and a story...the hats, the people...I keep wondering what it's about. I just wish he wasnt only slightly off centre and looking out of the frame...

11. Mojo_66

Anyone else noticed the deliberate mistake that in the magazine C & D have been swapped around?

12. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Did it catch you out Mojo? Good boy for reading the magazine. Two votes for you.

damien

13. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Psssst ... Good girl actually ...

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Oop! I always thought Mojo was a boy too :eek:

Sorreeee Mojo!

15. Mojo_66

It's ok, I've been called worse :D

16. Ian_A