1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arran?

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by AGW, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dottydormouse

Dottydormouse Member

I have to say I would favour the wildlife weekend

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Well i'm just back home from the island and I had a chance to chat things through with the hotel owner who has a good overview of things on the island. The basic advice was that the end of may start June will be veryy difficult as much of the accomodation is already booked up. :(
    The recomendation is the we focus on the weekend of 19-20 May. That will allow folk who want to stay longer to consider the week either before or after.

Accomodation suggestions...
    Invercloy Guest House.
    Dunvegan
    Strathwhillan B&B
    Glen Artney
    The Ormidale Hotel
    Aucherannie Spa
    These are mainly small family hotels in Bordick, I have included a couple of B&B's there are plenty more. The Auchrannie Spa is a modern hotel which works on a price per room basis, may be better deal for families?
    The Campsite in Brodick is at the foot of Glen Rosa and its a bit primitive! The Lamlash campsite has better facilities but is further away. The national Trust has a good bunk house which can sleep up to 12 if you want to get together and rough it (although I have not checked availability).

If you intend bringing a car onto the island it will cost about £50 return + passengers, the important thing is that cars must be booked well in advance. There is secure carparking on the mainland (£2 per night) and the local bus service is quite good (they just go round and round). Trains run to the Ardrossan Harbour ferry terminal from Glasgow. Its easy to get to the rail link from both Glasgow and Prestwick airports (AND THE IRISH FERRY COMES IN AT TROON).

I will to be able to give advice on transport and locations I doubt that everyone would want to stand in a single group(?), I may have to work on the Sunday!

So thats the plan....Who is still interested???

Graeme

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

:( Im not ruling it out but that w/e is probably not going to be an option for me, I would guess I will be preparing and putting the exhibition up. I really wouldnt be able to committ myself to those dates until a lot closer to the time by which time it'll all be booked up anyway. :(

Ho hum. So maybe Ill swan up on my own some other time.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Thanks for the train info Graeme...date is as good as any other for me.

5. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, I will check the date/time etc and think might be better if I fly up then train then ferry then bus etc....should be fun me think!

6. robkat

robkat Well-Known Member

I would be interested if it was around 19-20 May

Robert

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

This years programme is not published.

Wildlife Festival

I have managed to engineer it so that I get to lead a guided walk in a pub...marks out of 10? :D :D

Graeme

8. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

Like Graeme , I live in Ayrshire (15 mins from Ardrossan) so might just pop over for whichever one day has something interesting going on .

I wouldn't need accomodation but would appreciate knowing which dates are finally settled on and any events on the island which may coincide .

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Gosh....neighbours...quick draw the curtains and put the lights out! Three Towns or West Kilbride?

Graeme

10. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

So we'd be walking around the pub? :D

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Three towns? Irvine, Kilwining and Pennyburn, maybe? :rolleyes:

12. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I'll ignore that on the grounds that you are obviously not aware that Pennyburn is not a town it is infact a leafy suburb of Kilwinning. They just pick the leaves roll em up and smoke em....

Graeme

13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

"So we'd be walking around the pub?
    "
    ....and you problem is?????

See Beer and Bats....

Graeme

14. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I did live in Pennyburn for about 4 weeks (honestly); must have been around 1975-76. I was sent up there by the company I worked for then (Annith Eng.) on a 'copy-lathe' course at Irvine skillcentre. Preferred Irvine harbour area and I used to visit my Mother's Uncle in Dreghorn.

Never been back since ;)

15. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Ah well...you'll be saddened to learn that it has gone downhill...somewhat...
    ...they have even nicked your blue plaque!

Graeme

16. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Who said it was a problem - I was just a bit confused!

Lots of excellent stuff going on!

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is this going to happen?

18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Good question....? I'm not sure if anyone has booked yet?

Graeme

19. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Wrong week for me 'fraid. :(

20. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Seems to be the wrong week for everyone! :( Ah well maybe some other time! :D

Graeme