1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arran?

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by AGW, Jan 10, 2007.

1. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

OK folks I will need to sort this out if its going to happen.
    I think we had agreed on May but beyond that nothing was settled.
    So first question....week or weekend?

When in May? Week beginng 7, 14, 21? If I had to make a recommendation I would say somewhere in between the 16 and the 23. This period coincides with the Wildlife Festival (link) , (which I will be heavily involved with). This period was chossen specifically because there are few public holidays etc and the island is relatively quiet. Earlier and later in the month accomodation will be more difficult to secure.

I will on the island next week so if I could have an outline of dates and numbers I could talk to hotels etc....

Graeme

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Yes please! Some time in the May half-term would be a bonus for myself.

3. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

When is that? The problem is that if you look at the school holiday times, accomodation becomes much harder to secure?

Graeme

4. robkat

robkat Well-Known Member

Problem here in Scotland is that different areas have holidays at different times. Some have days at the start of May, others at the end.

Would like to be involved in this outing if possible?

Robert

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Yep there is a lot of variation in the holiday dates within Scotland but it is the English school holidays which have the biggest impact on the hotel business.

Graeme

6. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Wonder if you can camp in Arran?

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You can. Several campsites, including one in Lochranza that's convenient for the distillery - and some great photo ops.

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

4 official camp sites, and lots of wild camping.

Graeme

9. Dottydormouse

Dottydormouse Member

you mean there will be time to take photos? I would be interested as the festival sounds fun

10. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

And I am interest depending on the circumstances!!

11. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I am interested - in a B&B! :D

12. robkat

robkat Well-Known Member

If it goes ahead my preference would be for later in May.

The Speyside Whisky Festival is at the start of May, annual pilgramage to be taken.

Robert

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

My ideal dates:

1 - 15 April
    26 May - 1 June

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm interested...a week on a gnarly island...hope I can get a bike up there too ;)

Not fussed for dates and will camp or b&b.

15. Silverfox_1969

Silverfox_1969 Well-Known Member

Would also be interested... just a little too far out to fully commit at this stage.

16. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

I would love to go over to Arran - but I wouldn't be able to spare a week. Is anyone else planning on going just for a weekend?

K

17. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Just a idea just make the date and let people make their own arrangement so that we all can come and go so it can be very flexible for everyone? Just a thought...

18. crymble

That would work well for me. I saw some mention of camping earlier in the thread so I can take my test over and meet up with people at the weekend (whataver weekend it turns out to be.)

K

19. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I think it would be cool if some people can only make a weekend or a few days. But we're messing Graeme about a bit here, poor guy :eek:

So my answer is I can definitely make 26 May to 3 June (or 31 March - 15th April) but its very unlikely Ill be able to make the week before that (that Graeme said would be ideal). So if other people can do this week too, great lets arrange something, but if youre better with other dates then I wont be able to make it.

20. crymble

Sorry Graeme, I'm not fussy on the date. If I can make it I will, if I can't I won't.

Not that that is much help......

K