1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you happy to use independent inks?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I don't, but like others here I hardly ever print as the cost of Canon ink is so high. If they reduced the price I would print more.

The last time that I used the printer was to return a favour by doing some passport photos for a friend. The cartridges just about emptied themselves doing a nozzle clean - all for 6 tiny prints!

Currently looking for a reliable commercial printer, preferably based in the NE, who does not insist upon glossy paper and who will discuss with me the preparation of the images :confused:

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Colorworld? They're in the North East and offer a colour checking service, and will also give you a couple of free prints to check against your monitor. You probably wouldn't want to use them for snaps, but they're a much better option, IMVHO, than printing yourself for more significant prints.

I was supposed to be travelling up to see them today, but a vomiting child last night put paid to that plan so I'm going up later in the week.

3. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I have an Epson R1800 which is cripplingly expensive to run using Epson inks. After many trials I have ended up using 7day ink and paper and it is fine. I do about 10-12 A4 photo quality prints a month and a big run of A3 (100+) on 'ink jet quality' paper twice a year for an art exhibition.

What annoys me, especially at Epson ink prices, is the ink waste when a cartridge is changed. It's all the more obvious because I have diverted the waste ink pipe to a bottle outside the printer.

4. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Thanks Barney, I'll look them up.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Have just replenished my most used inks from 7dayshop at a cost of £24.72 (for 8 cartridges - I ignored one).
    At the same time, Epson have a special offer on the 'real' cartridges for the R2400.
    Each cartridge would have cost me around £13.

I'm happy to use the compatibles! If I wanted to print for sale, obviously that would be a different matter, but for everyday use, they satisfy my requirements.

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Having visited them, I wasn't too impressed with their range of albums, books frames etc, though the sample prints they sent me were okay.

7. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

I have a Canon Pro9500 and because of clever design of the cartridge chip (so I'm told) no one can offer third party inks.

8. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I am aware of the arguments pro and con. I won't bother with them and will simply answer the question as asked.

I would never ever, ever use independant inks. Broadly speaking this is for the same reasons that I would never order drugs from the internet or buy a car from ebay. I'm not saying you can't get bargains but its not a risk I am prepared to take.

BTW Damien, thanks for the link giving me the opportunity to vote for whether or not I use a neutral density filter ;) :)

Willie

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

When I have to buy OEM inks because of clever technology, I will give up printing!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well that is the current poll - not his fault you're answering an old one. ;)

11. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

No, I've bu@@ered up three printers over the years using indie inks.:mad:

Andrew

12. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

So have I, but I have saved myself oodles of cash along the way, certainly enough to buy a new printer, out of the savings, when necessary.

13. BrianWall

I used third party inks on my old Epson A3+ printer and saved a fortune and never had a problem either. I think there is a lot of mystique about printer inks, propagated by the big manufacturers. A lot of it is bull**t in my view. Before using 3rd party inks, I had a Canon printer using their own ink and the head needed replacing. So what does that prove? It's anecdotal and worthless information.:D

14. Catriona

Agree. Been in exactly the same position. Apart from which, I hated that Canon printer and donated it to my husband! Haha!

Best thing I learnt to do was to only switch on the printer when I needed it. Surprising how many people leave them on all the time - and I know the given evidence that not switching them on is detrimental - but I've never found it so.

15. BrianWall

Now my advice has always been to leave the printer ON !!:) Because then the heads are periodically wiped to prevent clogging and drying. My disaster with heads was due to not printing often enough I was told.

Hope your husband doesn't read this forum!

16. Catriona

Haha! Hubby knows - and uses my Epson frequently!
    I know they say that about heads clogging up, but honestly, as long as it is on sometime in the week, I find it is OK.

17. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Ah - hah! That would explain it :p

Willie