1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you happy to use independent inks?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

When you buy a car, if you are thinking clearly and are not concerned solely with its colour, you might check to see how many miles to the gallon it can do. If you are the sort of person who drives a lot, this will obviously be very important. It is no good, after all, spending money on the car and then finding that the drive to Sainsbury’s costs more than you spend when you get there.

We tend to be less careful when buying an inkjet printer, as it is the quality of the output that we are more likely to scrutinise than the cost of the ink that creates that output. Yet ink is very expensive, as is most equipment involved with this photographic occupation of ours, and if you intend to do a lot of printing it should be a factor in your decision-making process when it comes to buying a new machine.

It is fair to say there is a lot of rubbish ink on sale on the high street, but there are also many good brands that are independent of the companies that make the printers. The worry, of course, is that less expensive ink will damage the print head, or simply fade in the daylight. Petrol, for the most part, is petrol, but ink quality is a great variable.

Head to the homepage to vote in this week's poll - Are you happy to use independent inks?

Damien

[​IMG]

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I did once try third party inks in a printer in an attempt to cut down on the huge cost of manufacturer inks. Bad mistake; saving a few pounds clogged the nozzles terminally & therefore cost me a whole new printer.

If there was a standard to which third parties could manufacture inks so that they had the same anti-clogging properties as manufacturers inks, as well as the same colour balance, I'd be delighted. But somehow I don't see the manufacturers doing this, as the inks are where the profits are, not the printers.

Fortunately the car manufacturers and the oil companies are reasonably well seperated - otherwise we'd have different fuels for every manufacturer, at least ten times the current extorionate prices, and a huge repair bill if you dared to try independent fuel (just as you will have if you're stupid enough to fill a diesel tank with petrol).

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I use nothing but compatible inks - after all, why spend £35 to refill a printer that only cost £60 in the first place? My printers usually last me about 3 years, and when the heads won't clean anymore, I dump it, or give it away on Freecycle, and buy a new one. Results are, for me at least, acceptable and print longevity is not really a problem. I have been working this way for 15 years and my original prints from 15 years ago are fine (they are kept in albums in normal room temperature).

When I finally kick the bucket, I am sure most of my efforts over the past 30 years will end up in a skip anyway[​IMG]

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes!

When I first had my Epson Photo R2400, replacement inks cost me nearly £100 for the set.

I now buy compatibles through 7dayshop.com and am more than happy to pay £19 for the set instead.
    In fact, the Photo black is better than Epson's own.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

i use Jettec inks all the time. the quality and price are excellent and the tanks hold much more. I have never had one block.

I will probably move to a Ciss system with Fotorite or Lyson ink. ( even more convenient)

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss/epson/sx215/sx-series

In the past I have tried various lookalikes of varying quality, but the only time I have had terminal blocks are with Epson and canon inks.

Printers are pretty much expendable.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

After a bad experience with Epson in the 1990's, I have bought HP printers ever since. I have had bad experiences with 3rd party ink cartridges from several brands and for many years I have bought only genuine HP supplies from one of the leading Channel Islands based suppliers. I've recently bought one of that supplier's independently branded cartridges to try, but have yet to fit it.

7. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I've only used Epson's own ink in my R2400, but I'm very tempted to try out the Fotospeed system, reviewed in this week's AP. For £200 (for my printer) it looks to be very good value. Mind you, I have always thought you get what you pay for in terms of quality and, although the colour matching my be good, I wonder how lightfast and resilient the Fotospeed prints will be (I've always been impressed with Epson's).
    Hopefully, in the coming months (including my birthday) I shall find out....

8. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

Not had a single problem with Tesco (which I think is Jettec) inks in my Canon, which is seven years old and still cranking out the pics...

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, I'm not. My A3+ printer is ten years old next month, has never clogged and still produces reliable, reproducible results with Canon inks - that's good enough for me.

10. Martin Erhard

Martin Erhard Member

No not really, but....

With a dedicated photo printer you want totally predictable and high quality repeatable print quality. Also you want reliability as a good quality A3 printer is huge investment.
    After a bad experience with an Epson for example I would stick to their own inks to delay the onset of the terminally clogged head as long as possible.

My HP 8750 (with a fresh print head in each cartridge) is getting on now but still produces perfect prints. However HP's policy of driving up the cost of their inks particularly the photo grey cartridge this machine uses means it will soon be cheaper to get my prints done at good lab.

So for cost reasons only I will reluctantly be trying out some alternative inks in the near future.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I've never tried them but then I've only ever had two printers - an Apple one that I hadn't used for about 15 years before I finally got round to flinging it away and the new Epson one is a printer/scanner/copier thing that the inks cost about £20 for. I'm not that fond of inkjet prints of photographs anyway.

12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Perfectly happy with independent inks- use a company called Choice Stationery and their stuff is as good as the branded and considerably cheaper

13. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Had been using Wilkinson's compatibles for my Epson DX AIO with acceptable results, then made mistake of trying Argos' offerings; the CY carts leaked thru the printer, over the desk, on the carpet... :mad:
    Unfortunately the local Wilkinson's do not stock compatibles for my new Epson SX235.

14. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I have an Epson R2400 and inks are very expensive. As a result it hardly ever gets used, which I believe can clog the heads in itself. After reading some of the comments about compatibles on here, and after disastrous results using a CIS I may consider some of the better ones, especially as the printer is well out of its warranty. It seems a bit pointless having a good printer and never using it because of the cost of the ink!

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

A CIS system it truly not suitable for a rarely used printer. Seems a strange choice in the first place.

16. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I used to use it a lot more than I do now!

17. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

No every time I've tried alternatives they have let me down, either in quality or stopped functioning after a short while. Most of my inkjet printing is done in the Uni lab at present which are all epsom printers and inks.

18. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Lucky you, free ink![​IMG]

19. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

Lol......... not quite, you supply your own paper and pay £20 a semester, unless its large scale then its £15 a metre paper supplied ;)

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

When I used to print I never chanced using third party inks. I got sick of paying over inflated rates for the ink though so now I very rarely print anything myself. I much rather pop down to Boots on the odd occasion that I do need to print anything or use a proper print lab for anything significant.

Not only is it much cheaper for me to use Boots, by the time I'd have fannied around with the printer, tried to remember the right settings for the particular size of paper I needed, found where I'd put that size of paper, had three or four aborted attempts at printing thanks to one of a multitude of potential reasons to final get a print out of the machine, I'd have been much quicker walking into town, popping in to Boots and walking back again.

For most photographers' requirements, printing your own photos is a mug's game. I'd far rather spend the time and money on getting out and about actually taken photos and then displaying them electronically.