1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are pubs boring now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Clive, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Are pubs boring now? Maybe, but....

....they certainly smell better :) ....
    ...stinky men and women, not withstanding :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

2. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

We seem to have run out of debate on this thread, but I found this statement of Graeme's fascinating, assuming that it at least approximates to the truth. As you seem to know about H&S law, can I pick your brain a bit further? Is this what you think would actually have to happen, or just what you would have liked to happen? I ask because, of course, there are exemptions to the ban, such as long term mental hospitals (why it is OK to subject acute mental patients, who I would have thought had enough problems, to the added pain of nicotine withdrawal, but not long term patients is another matter). Does this mean that you would now expect such precautions to be actually implemented in these hospitals? Or, if not, why not, as I assume that hospital personnel are no less vulnerable/valued than bar staff? Presumably it would be the hospitals' duty to provide the breathing apparatus, protective clothing and decontamination facilities to its own staff, and delivery firms would provide the equipment to their drivers. I assume that non smoking patients would have to be given similar facilities, and possibly even smoking patients whenever they are not smoking. Does the hospital have to provide these, or the patient? Likewise, what about people visiting patients? Does the hospital simply declare itself to be too hazardous an area to admit them? If not, you tell us that there are no exceptions to H&S law, and one can't simply volunteer one's way around it, so do visitors have to provide their own respirator etc to be admitted, or does the hospital have to provide? Finally, where does this end? As I have said before I have a special, but quite common sensitivity to the solvents used in many perfumes and hair products. The health risks here are not just theoretical, but very real and immediate. If I want to buy a film from my local Boots and can only get to the photo section by walking past the perfume counter, can I insist that Boots provide me with breathing apparatus, or do I have to bring my own? And, does everyone else need it too, or only those with such a sensitivity?

3. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

After reading the other thread about hay fever, I think the government should impose a blanket ban on pollen! :D

4. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Can we have some carriage returns or line-breaks, one solid block of text makes it difficult to read, especially on a PDA with a small screen.

5. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

PDA = Pretty Damn Awful at reading big chunks of text with no line breaks. ;)

6. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Graeme's on holiday in Canada, so you wasted your time reading the post anyway! :rolleyes:

7. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Well, apparently they don't. On an early morning programme at the end of last week a vox pop reported widespread complaints of the smells in the smokeless hostelries. BO, stale beer and toilet smells being the most unwelcome.

Some enterprising company has come up with a collection of alternative smells which they are marketing to licensed premises. Top of their list? Fine Havana Cigar Smell - but apparently you don't take the smell home with you like the real thing.

8. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Must say, going into a pub and being able to breathe can be quite pleasant! ;)

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I love it! Its SO much nicer now! Like snuggling in a cosy little room :)

10. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

And you don't have to cut through the fog to see the person you're talking to. :rolleyes:

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I've been in lots of pubs since the smoking ban - all for research purposes - and still have yet to find one that smells of stale beer, BO and toilets!

I must be going to the wrong places.

Personally I think it's smokers making false claims in the hope to get the smoking ban lifted.

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There was a pub on my way to work that you could smell just walking past....thankfully the crowd of smokers outside now block the smell :D

The smelly pubs were the ones I tended not to go in anyway...generally dark, dingy pubs for serious drinkers rather than a cleaner, brighter pub for the sad office types /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I still think there is room for choice.

13. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

Now I love the "smell" of a pub , I don't mean smoking, I mean that pubby smell, you only really get it in genuine boozers, when I visit London, I nearly always pop in the Red Lion ( I think) in Westminster , that always smells like a proper pub, Oh and I went in a pub in I think Lambs conduit street that was a genuine pub too !!

14. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

Must be The Lamb. I used to use it regularly when I worked in Holborn. Great pub. :cool:

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:D

Jack

16. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

I notice I never got a reply to my question to Graeme.