1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are pubs boring now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Clive, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I haven't been into a pub since the no smoking law came into force, but my daughter, who lives in London, has. One pub she goes in was deadly dull, but outside there was much more liveliness where the smokers were.

In another in Hampstead her keen sense of smell (she is a non-smoker) detected that the smell of smoke had been replaced by ...... Male Body Odour.

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It's like being kids again back at the school disco....might not be long before fizzy drinks are a treat :D

3. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

At least my daughter's clothes wont stink the car out later when I pick her up from work.

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

If she does work in a pub I wonder what her observations are?

5. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

I'll find out later, but I'm not staying up to post them tonight.

6. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ted - it would be interesting to know if a Manchester pub is any different to the two London ones.

7. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

In my village near Bolton, I can vouch for the fact that my local is 'quiet'. It seems like 90% of the smokers plus a fair proportion of the non-smokers are missing. It'll be interesting to see how long before they drift back, if ever.

It's nice to visit the pub and not come back with stinging eyes, and clothes that smell like an ashtray.

8. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

The pubs I frequented have always been boring; bit like me really. As long as it's quiet, has a corner with a roaring fire and serves Jameson's with ice- I'm content.

9. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"Are pubs boring now?".......................I don't know, I'm never sober enough to tell the difference! :eek: ;)

BigWill

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My local's been no-smoking for a few years - and no food, no piped music, just top beer and conversation. If that's boring, then yes, pubs are boring now - personally, I find not being able to breathe properly, hear what anyone's saying or have a pint I actually enjoy a lot more boring, but YMMV.

Only been to two other pubs since the ban - both exactly as they were before (one of them has always been boring!), but they smell of food and beer, which I would say is more than a little improvement on stale smoke. Now I'm sure that there are pubs around here that are more boring than they were, but I never went looking for the excitement of flying glasses and stools in the first place... :D

11. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I seldom go to a pub these days but when I went to the local near where I work with some workmates, we couldn't get a seat on the no-smoking area to eat our food - it was chockers. Instead, we had to sit in the almosy empty smoking area.

Personally, I think it's a good move for the health and comfort of everybody and a lot of fuss is being made over nothing. Give it 6 months and the pubs will be as busy as ever but without the smoke.

Next they should ban the crap background music which can't be enjoyed because everybody is talking and simply makes people talk louder such that I miss much of the conversation anyway. Perhaps that's why I don't visit pubs that often - they're anti-social to a lot of people.

12. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

I never go into pubs really, but I nipped into one the other day to "smell" the difference ( in the centre of Manchester) and it is fresher and pleasant. But I do miss my cigarette in Cafe Nero on Deansgate, where 90% of the clientele were arabs, and Euro smokers. Coffe, smoke and foreign tongues clicking away did add to the ambience. I will miss that. But it has been quite mpty since the ban.
    So rather than sit and enjoy a coffee, I buy a double espresso which I finish in 1 minute flat, and rush off again. :D

13. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

Have you noticed, the pavements outside pubs and restaurants are now cluttered with chairs and tables ... I passed my local pub last night and there were about 10 guys outside ... including the publican and the barman. More than inside. :cool:

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

The Queen Vic is nearly always empty now, But I think that might be Pats fault rather than the no smoking.

15. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

What have you been smoking, Gerry? [​IMG]

16. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

And all this adds to global warming. Ban that too I say! ;)

17. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Ooh! Which one? Then I can plan not to go there and avoid the MBO.

If its the B*ll & B*sh I wont be going there anyway :mad:

18. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

They all say this round here now...

[​IMG]

19. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

God yes. I used to end up like that after a brawl too, back in the day. :rolleyes:

20. TwoToeTango

TwoToeTango Active Member

I've not noticed any difference in the numbers of people in the pubs I visit. At the end of the day I think it's a little sad if you are a smoker and you feel you have to stay at home because you can't smoke in a pub. It can't be any fun sat on your couch with a can of lager/bitter. It'll just take some adjusting. In Manchester most pubs are bending over backwards to make smokers comfortable while outside, especially Joey Holts's pubs!

I don't have smelly clothes now and I don't suffer from a blocked/runny nose as this is what used to happen with me in a smokey pubs.