1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are any of the AP team going to .....

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, May 31, 2015.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Arles? I am not suggesting a jolly but a working visit with the intention of much of an issue of AP devoted to the festival.

2. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

There has been no such thing, if ever there were, as a 'jolly' for many a decade. Every minute away is (plus remote office) work. I have heard that there may well be a full-time member of the AP editorial team at Arles. As to the extent of any coverage in any individual issue I do not know.

regards
    m

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well of course Roger will be there.
    It is a pity that commercial priorities appear to outweigh photographic appreciation for its own sake.
    Still, that's advertising for you.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Insh'Allah. Hotel booked, etc. But the highlight ain't all bad. "Fine art" magazines tend to disappear up their own fundaments without a leavening of hardware and historic nerdliness.

You will of course be arriving on your private Learjet, but when? You may have to use the helicopter for the last bit: I don't know the nearest airport big enough for a Learjet.

Ilford has given me a few rolls of film to give away (one per person, HP5+ or Delta 3200) and AP has promised to pay for some of the wine at the vernissage on Tuesday. And I expect to be doing print critiques at Voies Off.

Afterthought: Frances's comment on your photo of Dave was "You bloody Celts all look alike". My hair was a darker red (all white now, and thin) and my beard was a brighter gold in places (again, all white now) but I think that 40 years ago he'd have passed for my better-looking brother. Looks a lot more like me than my actual brother!

Cheers,

R.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I would have loved to have gone but the school holidays (at least some of them) last for seven and a half weeks at various address in the UK and our diaries are full to busting with looking after grandchildren etc. I do normally manage to see some good photos in Edinburgh most years which I know at least one forum member has helped organise.

6. Catriona

Believe it or not, I was looking at how to get there. Marseille appears to be the best bet flying from here, followed by a train to Arles. Hotel de la Muette looks nice too. So there!
    Yes, my Dave was one of the Normans who came across to London. A right mix of De Boo, Quatremain etc. A Norseman indeed. :) I came via the Northern route. His hair was quite white when he got to his 40s.
    I believe the Exhibition lasts quite a while? Or have I got that wrong. I was thinking nearer September than now.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Just the opening week, Tuesday-Sunday. Sorry!

The truth is that although the "official" Rencontres last into September, over 90% of the action is during opening week: the vast majority of galleries are more or less "pop up" and disappear after a maximum of a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

R.

8. Catriona

Thanks for the information Roger.

9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Learjet doen't need much runway. Not anything like an airliner. Well under 3500ft should suffice.

I have gone into a gravel strip in northern Saskatchewan on Cessna's equivalent - the Citation - without any problems.

http://cessna.txtav.com/citation

Eric

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I know that jollies don't exist anymore, and haven't done for many years. That's why I explicitly suggested a working trip.
    I expected Roger to be there under his own steam.
    Never mind, we perhaps can get a flavour spun out for a few months in Roger's column.
    Seriously though, we could do with an occasional themed issue. There isn't going to be much to report on the new equipment front for a few months and perhaps the pages are available for something purely photographic.

On a separate issue, I noticed Don Jacklin's email in Inbox. I also appreciate the classics revisited series but didn't need persuading by a particular item. The series reminds us, or in some cases shows us for the first time, classic images and how something similar can be created using digital methods. In one article we have a strong image from the photographic archive, technical instruction and a lesson in problem solving.
    The re-creation of Angus McBean's portrait of Vivien Liegh was almost another where the re-creation was better than the original. The perfectly positioned catch lights in the eyes make the portraits sparkle and the skin tones are lovely. However (a polite way of saying 'but'), how did the distracting 'sawtooth' under the chin escape attention? On the cover it is obscured by the lower case c of Classic so I suspect that the sub spotted it.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Obvious answer - if AP can't get one of the full time editorial staffers to Arles (and I'm sure that there are many reasons of budget and time constraints that could make it difficult), commission Roger to do a full feature article - 3 or 4 pages would be good.

I for one would certainly look forward to reading it.