1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APS scanning

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by cliveva, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Michael Newman

Michael Newman New Member

Well the great thing about scanning them is that you can evaluate whether your editor (PS, LR, etc) can make the images look nice.
    I also found some APS films seemed a bit on the dark side as scanned, but easy enough to standardise them a bit.
    APS-12.jpg
    Here's one I did earlier, in 2001; Minolta Vectis 300 I think, or it might have been a Canon Ixus. Both pocket sized cameras, one zoom and the other not.
    It was scanned at 4256x2517 on my Nikon LS-4000 but that was overkill as a 100% view is a bit blurry! However they print quite nicely up to A5 or even A4 if you leave the print on the far side of the room.
    One of this winter's projects is to catalogue the APS films that I scanned a few years ago (who, what, where, when, why, whatever) and I'd like to find some software that aids keywording since Lightroom makes it all a bit laborious. Perhaps that's worth looking for in another forum or posting a suitable question.

Thanks, Mike

spinno likes this.
  2. BobRetro

BobRetro New Member

I have about 200 canisters of APS film that need scanning. Being the cheapskate that I am, I realized that I didn't want to pay to have 5,000 negatives scanned, so I created an APS film holder for scanning APS film without removing them from the canister. The holder is laser-cut for extreme accuracy. It has jaws to mount the canister on, then you open the door on it and unwind the film, guiding it into the tracks. The tracks hold the film flat (which is an accomplishment because this film is VERY curly) and the results are very nice. The film passes under the lid and out the other side (without touching the lid) where it rolls around a spool. The holder is designed for the Epson Perfection line of scanners. Due to the way that scanner is designed, you have to run the film horizontally because otherwise you interfere with the area needed for alignment. This results in you only scanning 2 frames at a time, but the results are worth it. When you are done, you simply roll the film back in the canister! I've been working on perfecting it and have made about 7 different iterations, each one a little bit better than the last. The latest version doesn't touch the frame at all, just the tracks above and below it, to prevent scratching.

Bob

3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see some pictures of the device you've made .

cliveva likes this.
  4. BobRetro

BobRetro New Member

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

6. BobRetro

BobRetro New Member

Sorry, newbie mistake, it should be shared now.

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Aah. Nifty looking bit of work.

9. Terry B

Terry B New Member

Somewhat late to this, but the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II had an optional APS cartridge adapter. I have both units but don't really know if the APS bit works or not. You are right about how it works. The scanner can be found occasionally, but the APS unit is very rare.