1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APS scanning

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by cliveva, Mar 22, 2017.

1. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I have many rolls of APS film, (taken on a Leica, so should be good resolution/quality) and would love to scan them to be able to work on them in the computer darkroom and print. Commercial high resolution scanning is expensive.
    I have an epson flat bed and lots of film, inside cases, so has anyone extracted the film and scanned it.
    If so, give me some guidence. I think I will need some type of holder and a tool to get the film out.
    (done all my slides & 35mm film, just the APS left........:eek:)
    Look forward to at least one reply.......
    ;)

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Here's a reply, but not a useful one... I'm keen to find out too. I've scanned APS prints but some have damage or could perhaps have been better printed. Scanning the negs directly would be preferable but I've always shied away from cracking open the canisters.

3. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that Leica ever made an APS format camera! I have scanned an APS film some time ago and you have to destroy the cassette to get the film out. With the flatbed you should be able to adapt a film holder which is what I did (Epson V500). It was a bit hit or miss to get things working but I di eventually. Make sure you have a film storage envelope to put the film in when you are finished as the cassette will not be usable afterwards.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There were some film scanners that came with APS scanning attachments - you put the cassette in, it scanned the film and wound it back in, I think. Doubt if any are still available.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Assuming the film holders for a scanner have glass in them it should be possible to cut a suitable mask to sandwich in the holder with the film, using a thin black plastic sheeting material, the type that is sold for making models.. The film will have a very tight springy curl once removed from the cartridge so I would think that a carrier with glass in would have a better chance of holding it somewhere near flat. You will have to destroy the cartridge though, but I daresay that is no great loss.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

the minolta scan dual range, all take a special aps casette holder, however few people ever bought that accessory. so they are hard to find.

One sold on ebay for £43 in February. It was the AD 100 version. which is the same as the AD10 but has added parts to make it fit their wider scanners. These are very easily removed again.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Yep a C11.
    But, I would have to buy a phone, to use the lomography device and I doubt it would have the resolution, that I desire, from such a small(er) sized negative.(not quite 110 !!!)
    Oh, as an aside, the APS size film camera format, was used to develop lens' for the APS-C sensors, which it is the same size!
    This is looking like a, "Blue Peter" job.........:rolleyes:

10. Terrywoodenpic

The APS c theory is more a myth... Digital cameras of any size were not even thought possible when APS cameras came out, and when they did the early sensors were mostly far smaller.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well no. APS film is APS-H size, with a 1.3x crop factor compared to 35mm film, only Canon's professional 1D series (NOT 1Ds or 1DX models) ever used that size. APS-C and P sized prints were merely crops from an H negative. As far as I'm aware, the only APS lens that was a true test bed for digital was Canon's 22-55, which was developed into their first EF-S lens the 18-55; however, this was such an infamously poor kit lens it was replaced with a new design; quality that was perfectly fine for enprints could not stand scrutiny at 100% view.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There is no need to destroy the cannister to get the used part of the film out. Use a small screwderiver to open the light shield.Then use a larger screwdriver to turn the spindle so that the end of the film appears, then pull. Return the film by winding the spindle (not pushing the film). The film should be very clean and does not need the fancy infra red scans for dust removal. I did not scan but simply photographed the frames with a macro lens, lashed up light box and copy stand.

13. Michael Newman

Michael Newman New Member

In case anyone is still interested in this topic, I've seen inexpensive scanners with APS adapters on ebay recentlly.

In the past I did scan a number of APS films with moderate success, given that the APS cameras they were shot on were extremely average! The scanned images printed up quite nicely and many were better looking than the original prints.

Zou likes this.
  14. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Could you provide a link for one of these APS scanners , please ?
    I can see loads for 35mm , but the only scanner I could see that also did APS was about £500 !
    And it wasn't clear if the APS holder was included .

15. Terrywoodenpic

minolta scan dual 2,3,and 4 can take APS, but the holder device are as rare as hens teeth. as few people bought them.

16. Michael Newman

Michael Newman New Member

neilt3 I'm new here and I'm not sure how to message you so I'm posting my reply here.
    I sold my Canon CanoScan 2700F about half an hour ago!
    But I see that there is another for sale right now at £25 on ebay. Search for "Canoscan 2700F". The photo includes ate APS gadget. The seller has listed it as spares or repair because he hasn't been able to test it since last use some years ago. You could ask the seller if he has or is including a SCSI card, preferably of PCI type. Otherwise you'd have to buy one and maybe that would need a different cable.
    With mine I set up an old computer with Windows XP and got it all working.
    I'm also currently selling a Nikon Coolscan V with adapters for film and single slides but not APS (long story).
    For my own films and slides I have a Nikon LS-4000 with the APS adapter and other gadgets, but they are not for sale.

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Hi , thanks for posting back .
    I thought in your previous post you meant that you had seen new APS scanners that were cheap , similar to those for 35mm ( which I wouldn't recommend ) and I was curious .

I do have a scanner already . It's a Minolta Scan Dual 4 and I also have the APS AD10 adapter for it .
    I keep an old laptop computer with Windows XP installed on it to run the original software .
    I've not scanned any of my APS film yet , hence the curiosity .
    I've a load of old film to shoot , but the last one I used came back with prints that looked like the film was underexposed , and printed to compensate .
    I'll probably draw some film out of the exposed cassette to see if the negatives are as thin as I expect .
    If it is I'll give the next roll an extra couple of stops of exposure .
    I've got a Minolta Vectis S100 & S1 along with the full set of lenses from 17mm to 400mm , plus others like a Canon IX and the Yashica Samurai APS .
    Might as well use them while you can still get the film developed .

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Are the films out of date and if so how long. You may need to compensate for this fact.

19. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Well and truly out if date .
    And most likely not stored very well , they were all chucked in with various bits and pieces that I've bought over the years .

That's why the next roll I shoot I thought I would give an extra 2 stops of exposure , rather than shoot at the stated speed of ISO 200 .

I'll see how it goes .

20. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

And if that doesn't work I'll claim there supposed to look like that 'cos it's "Lomography" style ! :)

spinno likes this.