1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

April Theme - Flâneur

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Zou, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm firmly of 'the more, the merrier' school of thought.

Cheers, Jeff

Craig20264, Zou, Catriona and 2 others like this.
  2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

One of the great advantages of this theme is rule 1 "There are no rules just suggestions" - we are just having fun and enjoying ourselves. It would not be the same if the entries become constrained.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I see you point Jack, but I think the ethos behind it is good. At the end of the month you could stick a pin in it and I don't think anyone would care who won. And I use the term 'won', loosely. It's all about the taking part as I see it. Although I'm glad I haven't got to sort through this months! o_O

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As you say: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If you restrict the number of entries you'll end up with 3 weeks of no pictures and then a flurry of entries in the last week. I love the format as it is, with people's interpretation meandering through the month.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think SOME constraint is necessary, otherwise you end up with an aimless mish-mash. IMHO. For what that may be worth... ;)

True, but may I suggest posts only have one or two images. If there are a lot of images then you effectively have to 'Like' all of them, even if only one actually appeals.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I think the format has really gotten into its stride. Early rounds had around 20 responses but we're now regularly getting into 3 figures which has to be a good thing.

As for the maximum number of images per post, I cautiously agree. ;)

8. RogerMac

The rules (such as they are) - as amended by Nick in December 2015 state

1. There are no set rules just suggestions

2. Images should (usually) be taken in the appropriate month

3. No voting, no judging just nice friendly comments

4. Any number of images allowed but please do not photobomb.

5. Whoever sets the topic for the month chooses someone else to set the topic for the next month.

Although custom and practice does result in these morphing over time there is already provision for discouraging multiple images per post - I think it is up to the theme setter to emphasis this if he / she so wishes.

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Zou's view that this month, the format being used has got into it's stride; Maybe this is because this month's subject has struck a chord with people more than others have, or possibly because as each other's material appears, it gets people to look at things around us more than maybe we usually do. I've certainly enjoyed this immensely and I think it's made me think 'outside the box' of my usual range of subject categories.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well, that was enjoyably hard work. I think it is fair to say, [cliche]we're all winners when we get to share and enjoy such interesting photography.[/cliche] :D

However, the responsibility to pick a 'winner' is mine, so that's what I'll have to do.

Here are my three 'highly commended' picks (really could have been 15+ but that'd have been silly!) listed in order of posting:

#117, 9 Ecclesiastical Chairs? by SXH

[​IMG]

This is an image which raises all sorts of questions, and it is a mark of expert flaneury to have spotted it and allowed us to ask those questions. ;) Neatly composed and I also like how the tones balance the image.

#250, Golfers in the Gap by EightBitTony

[​IMG]

Who can resist a bench shot? Certainly not I, and it's also helpful that the bench is a bit more interesting than most. However, the image succeeds thanks to the the cheeky framing, which is the hallmark of an observant photographer/flaneur.

#297, by Geren

[​IMG]

I'm a sucker for chair shots, as will be apparent by picking three for my 'highly commended' slots. But this is a cut above a classic chair shot, with the range of textures and tones to lift it above a passing snap. Top notch flaneurse skills.

My runner-up is this superbly observed shot:

#100 by Satsun

[​IMG]

This is what the theme was all about - seeing what most would miss. Hopefully Satsun will be back for future rounds as he certainly appears to have the flaneur's eye. Well done!

And finally the winner...

#132 by EightBitTony

[​IMG]

As much as it can be tempting just to shoot the quirky, the out-of-place, or the interesting juxtapositions, the real flaneur takes pleasure most of all in the way the light moves, picking out textures and causing shadows to fall. This image is perfectly balanced to my eye, with the complementary colours of the wall and the plants, the texture and the shadows. It is beautifully observed, and a worthy winner. EightBitTony, over to you for May. Looking forward to seeing what theme you'll pick.

As a footnote, again a massive thanks to all participants. There were all sorts of images this month, and it was great fun to go through them all. I salute you all!

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

From someone who never got off his arse to take a photo this month, well done to all and especially to Tony.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done Tony - and Zou for his excellent picks!

Looking forward to next month - but please don't make it anything to do with elections!!

Kate

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Or erotic selfies.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I think that suggestion may have hindered my chances this month.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mensh, Zou.

And speaking of Mensch (see what I did there?), next month especially not 'Political Erotic Selfies'! :eek:

Oh, and a hearty 'Well Done', to whatsisface, EightBitTony. ;)

16. RogerMac

Well done Tony - a deserving winner in a very hard fought contest. However I do not envy you having to follow that theme.

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I DID say ELECTIONS - and didn't get the spelling wrong! Phew!

Done_rundleCams, EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  18. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Wow thanks Zou! Loads of great pictures in this months theme.

You are *so* right. We need something to inspire everyone, and give everyone a chance to both photograph their favourite stuff and be 'on plan', but also to go out and photograph different stuff they might not do otherwise if they want.

My thinking cap is on.

Done_rundleCams, Geren and Catriona like this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I'll bet it turns out to be something I have loads of old piccies of, but will not see examples of in the coming month! About par for the course, I suppose. Well, for me... :rolleyes:

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

So it will be 'Erotic Selfies'.

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.