1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

April Theme - Flâneur

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Zou, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When finally put on the spot to deliver a theme all sorts of ideas race through the mind. Some ideas stay a bit longer ('motion' and 'mutual aid/cooperation') were the two runners up to my final choice. So here it is - flâneur.

As some of you may know I love art, and the impressionists are a great inspiration. Caillebotte is one of my favourites, and he painted many a flâneur - the gentleman observer of life, wandering the streets without aim or direction, simply soaking up the experience. Obviously times have changed, so the need to be a gentleman is no longer valid. ;)

[​IMG]

Putting this into a theme, what I'm looking for this month of April is for images encountered and captured whilst you have been out and about in observational mode. Not street per se, nor reportage or documentary. Simply head out (with a camera, whether phone or Phase One) and show me what caught your eye. The serendipitous, the chance encounters, the glorious light that shone for mere seconds in graceful form. Don't go out with preconceptions, or out "to shoot 'x'" - just head out and shoot what you see. It'll be a broad theme for sure, but I'm expecting magic! :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

AlanW and Catriona like this.
  2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

B-but... 90-odd percent of my pictures are taken like that! I always carry my little LF1 in my pocket in case something catches my eye.

Mind you, they are not always good pictures, so I suppose I can winnow them that way... :oops:

Trannifan and Zou like this.
  3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Excellent theme, right up my street, I've always been a flâneur . . . . . two from last week to get me started :

RP on Princes Street (nice shoes!)
    [​IMG]

and in this one, I think David Shrigley was in the loo just before me . . .
    [​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Kinda the point Steve. ;) Didn't want to make a narrow topic that only a select few could enjoy.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Not a bad challenge. How about the flâneur in inaction...

[​IMG]

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

...and what the flâneur saw (both shot today, so I don't know if they count for April)...

[​IMG]

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Then he wandered on a little further and saw this...

[​IMG]

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Something from the weekend sir?

20170325-7DM2-6L3A6256_x800_hq.jpg

That's my 'in before the start, taken before the start'. I'll head out in April and get some more timely ones. From a stroll along the canal, since the weather was just so excellent.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I can't be alone in thinking Sting's let himself go a bit? :rolleyes:

Love the expression on his face!

10. Andrew Flannigan

As he watched a little longer, he saw two old friends greet one another...

[​IMG]

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Whitby Flâneur, with half a dog!

LR.jpg

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Perfect perfect theme - thank you!

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Great theme! I love to see what it is that catches everyone's eye when out on a stroll.

flaneur 1.jpg flaneur 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's mysteriously compelling, keeps the eye nicely. :)

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

Actually, the place was on channel 4 the other day. ?restoration buildings? This is seen through and reflection in one of the windows in the corridor of the new museum wing of Lews Castle, Stornoway. Glad you like it too.

Zou likes this.
  16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I decided yesterday that I really need to try and get a bit fitter so determined that as of today I was going to have a daily walk. I dug out my pedometer, camera, spare cards and set out at 8.15am. I got back about ten minutes ago. Needless to say I have totally overdone it and will probably hurt so much tomorrow that I'll barely be able to get off the couch. Why do I do this to myself? However, I should have at least one or two things from my meanderings for this theme. In the true spirit of a psychogeographist, I meandered wherever felt right at the time, not sticking to usual routes and routines until I remembered at the last that I needed a sympathy card for a friend. Back later once I've had a look at what was on the cards!

17. Catriona

I ended up attracted to walls today. Next week I shall wander into town. Then I'll see what I shall see.

needs a paint and tlc ap.jpg

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

170401_Helensburgh-006.jpg

For my first set of April wanderings I decided to head up the hill on the street where I now live. In all the time that I've lived in Helensburgh I don't think I've ever had cause to walk up this street beyond the first or second junction before so it felt like a mini adventure. This building is a warehouse. I've googled it since I came home, and it was built in 1960. I just rather love the fact that in 1960 we were still building things like garages/warehouses/factories with architetural details such as arched windows, instead of everything being cobbled together out of corrugated iron nad plastic sheeting. Need to go again on another day with a wider lens to try and get the whole thing in!

Zou, EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  19. Catriona

Wow Geren - steep hill. A 1960s building with style!

Here's a sad one. The conformity and dullness of old age. The retirement centre. I don't go there yet! Doubt if I will.

the anonymity of old age ap.jpg

EightBitTony and Geren like this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

170401_Helensburgh-012.jpg

Stafford Street, Helensburgh. It occurred to me as I walked up the hill that even though I might never have (knowingly)walked up James Street before, there are points on it with which I am familiar. My old school had two buildings, one at each end of Stafford Street. I had to walk up and down this road several times a day. Note, there are no pavements. I was told that in this neck of the woods, the deeds for the properties on either side of the street extend to the middle of the street and therefore the council is not obliged to provide pavements. If you trip on all that moss, you would need to take it up with the owner of the adjacent house. Moss is a significant problem here in Helensburgh. I don't know many people who have grass lawns any more!

Catriona, Zou and EightBitTony like this.