1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

April 2018 Theme - Support

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by steveandthedogs, Mar 31, 2018.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I hope this isn't too gory, but it is me on a life-supporting drip a week ago:

[​IMG]

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ooh, the last (and only) time I had one of them in me was when I when I had a bronchoscopy and they used it to whack the sedative into me.
    When they did, I (felt like) I floated off the bed, said "Wow, that's good stuff!" and then... twenty minutes of total amnesia!
    Something that affects about 10% of us apparently.
    Had to check later that I hadn't done anything embarrassing while 'under the influence'... :oops:;)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Many years ago I was about to be wheeled down to the operating theatre after being stabbed.

The nurse gave me an extremely potent pre-op injection into my bottom while running through a checklist of general questions. When she asked me whether I was wearing dentures, I replied "not down that end, love!" and then rolled around laughing so much that I fell off the trolley.

Cheers, Jeff

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've been told I must enter this one by his mum ...

M52M1651-E.jpg

5. RovingMike

You're lucky. I must have had dozens. Lived on one for a month once. This was third that week. :(

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The disinhibitor effect!

My grandfather, a very strict and upright type had a similar thing happen when he got the preliminary injection.
    Apparently he treated the nurses and anaesthetist to a demonstration of Olympic standard swearing.
    He claimed he didn't remember doing it... :rolleyes:

Good grief, the back of your hand must be a bit of a mess! :eek:

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I seem to have had quite a few of these too. Three pregnancies and the associated emergency c-sections account for some of them but also various other unfortunate events. If you couple those with the fact that I can only rarely get blood out of the vein in my arm and my hands are the next best options, the back of my hands look like a veritable pin cushion.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I was in hospital with a serious infection I had 4 i/v canulas in simultaneously at one point. By the end of my stay they were running out of places to put them and were eyeing up my feet as a potential site. Given that I was having hourly blood samples at one point too, my hands and arms looked like those belonging to a heroin addict.

Geren likes this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

10. RovingMike

No that was only one in the hand this time. They gave me one in left arm and one in right elbow joint, which was crazy. Couldn't bend my arm much to scoop up food. I had my chin on the plate anyway. Neurology lady accidentally ripped it out and nurse jammed it back in so hard I couldn't bend it at all, so I called a halt and had it removed. That's how it got moved to the hand.

Catriona likes this.
  11. RovingMike

Not nice!

12. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

On the morning before my brain surgery they put one in the back of my right hand - they'd asked me which hand I preferred and I'd specified the right because I can't stand to have the back of my left hand touched. When I emerged from the funhouse ride that constitutes trans-sphenoidal surgery I awoke to find additional ones in both elbows and in the back of my left hand! I was informed that things had gone a little skew-whiff while they were thrutching about inside my noggin and they'd needed to add some extra points of ingress.

Once I was returned to the ward I asked to have them removed every ten minutes without fail until the nurse eventually caved-in and took them all out. Only those of us who've sat there with these fiendish contraptions plugged into our gooey bits can appreciate the absolute joy of having them removed!

Cheers, Jeff

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Last time I had morphine I puked incessantly. They still ended up giving me injections - six, as far as I remember. One inane registrar looked at me and said in all innocence - are you normally sick? I simply asked her if she was 'normally' sick? The consultant took over at that point.

RovingMike likes this.
  14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

So much for lightening the mood... :rolleyes: ;)

Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Perhaps a shot of the Mary Poppins Support Centre here in Exeter will help...

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC00453.JPG

16. RovingMike

More support in a medical context (and last I promise). My meds. Just getting effect of the morning meds my wife leaves out for me. Pain draining away.

[​IMG]My meds by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

17. Catriona

Oh my!
    Glad your pain draining away. I should think it gets frightened away by that lot!
    Take care.

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Hmmm! Quite a collection, there. Mike. Probably too many, so why don't you use the leftovers to make yourself a pair of maracas?

19. RovingMike

Definitely. You'd think improving would be a straight line, but seems that as numbness slowly goes from arms and hands, pain replaces it. Not been taking my 10am Morphine, with Pregabalin and Paracetamol holding well, but seriously considering it right now.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

With nerve damage and slowly returning proper use, the messages can be scrambled too. I recall when my foot suffered nerve damage, as it returned to normal after about 3 months, the first thing it felt was extremely cold - only it was really pain, when I accidentally bumped it! It took a while, but gradually the messages got it right.
    Take them when you need them. You are actually doing extremely well and fast too!

RovingMike likes this.