1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple's new toy.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Its got animated emoji's......... a bargain then...... :rolleyes:

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Rog,

If you can afford to waste that sort of money on a 'phone, do you care?

Also, US prices are normally quoted tax free, UK prices VAT inc. -- at which point $1000 becomes $1200. At current exchange rates £1300 = $1000 so there's a a $100 premium for shipping the damn' thing across the Atlantic and (presumably, as there's no free trade area between the UK and US) paying some sort of import duties.

Cheers,

R.

Learning likes this.
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have actually had rather good service from Apple, though not in relation to the iPhone.

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think if this were a non-US firm, they would have had their balls nailed to the wall for this.
    Apple have a lot of clout in the US, and have had a startling arrogance since they were first formed.

I have an iPad 2. it was great until Apple decided it was time for it to die on it's backside. Software updates forced it to become slow and sluggish. I have always been good with keeping batteries going, and this is no different, but the fact that it would download iOS updates (it didn't install them) taking up nearly all the memory, which forced a reboot, which forced an installation....well, they aren't on my Christmas list, put it that way.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I like Apple and when needed always had good service. My iphone is not new, it's over 3 years old, nearing 4 I think. It still works fine with no issues so will not be replacing it. My macbook is going strong and TBH it is lasting a lot longer both in hardware and software than any other laptop I have owned. Can't see any reason why I will need to change it anytime soon.
    As I say I like Apple products but luckily far from being a fanboy so I can't even dream about spending £1000 on a phone (albeit their iphone 8's are cheaper than the X) but if people have that sort of cash to throw around, well carry on.
    Thing is though, I dare say there are quite a few on this forum who would happily spend that and more on a camera and/or a lens to add to their million cameras collecting dust in a spare room!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oh! Is there a better use for them??? :confused:

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Insurance scam?
    Material for an appearance on The Antiques Roadshow?

;)

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Given that the length of a mobile phone contract is quite likely to be over a year with such an expensive device I'd hope so!

Not sure these things are quite the fashion accessory they once were though as I can't tell them apart at a glance any more. Too many passwords for me to remember never mind too much money so this isn't for me anyway. Still, bet it still sells well and helps keep a repair shop and a phone shop open on many high streets.

Anybody else thinking the skipping 9 might be an acknowledgement of what came before OS X?

12. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

No, it's the tenth anniversary iPhone.

13. Roger Hicks

Dear Lynn,

The euro is strengthening against both the pound and the dollar, so what's your benchmark?

Cheers,

R.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My Nokia 3030e ( I think that is what it is; the lettering is getting worn) works fine, but I could do with a fourth new battery.

15. Learning

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  16. Roger Hicks

Scphoto likes this.
  17. Learning

Why would anyone commit a crime for a bloody iphone? I don't get it. Perhaps I am not 'woke'.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In 2014 I bought a MacBook Air in Best Buy*, even after paying VAT I still saved money over buying it in the UK. I might add that the price was less than that of an iPhone X.

*A US store similar to Currys