1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY Round 01: Water in the Landscape

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Fen, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Excellent.

Now if I lose out I know it will be to someone with class :D

2. Japheree

Japheree New Member

Hi there all...a newbie here.

Just like to say that not getting placed isn't a major deal for me (unlikely to happen to me anyway!) but I love the focus that it provides. I am by no means a landscape photographer but I've given it a shot and have enjoyed planning my weekend shoots.

Was lucky enough to have one of last years entries win pic of the week in the appraisal section too...which was a lovely unexpected bonus.

3. willieh

willieh Member

Me too, like the idea of having something to aim for each month, gets the brain cells working looking for inspiration and ideas. The only downside and I dont know if anyone else feels the same, but over the years I have become so critical of my own images and nit pick at every detail. Never mind I love looking at all the top entries some/most are truly superb. Good luck everyone ;)

Kind Regards Willie

4. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

To be fair Mark, it does ask one to copy the body of the text and insert the 'x' as appropriate - might just be my paranoia / perverse logic that makes the meaning of an 'x' unclear (is it a yes or a no...?!):)

5. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

Now he tells us!!! ;-0

Spent 10 mins trying to find a "tick" in wingdings.

It's done now though, and can cut and paste it into later rounds.

That's if I can be motivated enough; didn't enter any last year. I love the competition though, just to see how clever and talented other photographers are!!

KR

Jeremy

6. JackHood

JackHood Well-Known Member

My entry is in. Leaving to the last minute again! :)

I do have a small problem though, not to do with the competiton. I got the contrast and colours of my photo exactly how I wanted them. But when I view the photo on another computer the photo looks flat and dull.

Is there a way to set a colour profile in Photoshop so the photo looks the same on any computer?

7. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

In photoshop? Not that I'm aware of.

ColorMunki include a thing called "Digital Pouch" with the Colorimeter which enables you to ensure that recipients of your pictures can see them the way you do.

KR

Jeremy

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Is your own system colour profiled? And is the other computer also profiled?

If so, they should look the same.

9. JackHood

JackHood Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help. Would it matter that one of the computers is Mac and the other a PC?

I'll give the software a go and see if it helps.

My worry is that the photo is going to look completely different when they are judging it. Not that it has a chance anyway :D

Thanks again,
    Jack.

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: APOY Round 01: Water in the Landscape -- HOLY CR@P ...

hi mark,

YAY ... I, at least, sent it to the correct email address :) and I filled out the
    disclaimer thing and even used a bold X .... now as long as I
    placed the 'bold X' in the corrects places I should be OK :) And the really
    good news for other entrants, is that my pic will boost your spot "up" by
    at least one(1) place :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Now Jack, you are just showing off ;) :) Insert a bold tick symbol and I will be impressed :)

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Does this count :confused::confused: and should I use it for round two - or will it disqualify me?

Roger

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  13. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

IMHO this is now getting silly,,, he said ;)

14. Psychstew

Psychstew New Member

Me too, I found it really daunting getting the first one out there! Well its done now not expecting much at all really :)

15. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

it is free to enter right?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  16. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Yes :) my 'But may still be charged' comment, in another APOY thread, was a lame attempt at humour :D

17. Brendan1980

Brendan1980 Well-Known Member

I had a really cool idea for this round....but as I only started photography a couple of weeks ago, I reckon I have no chance, ha ha! and I missed the deadline. Ah well, ideas noted down for another time.;);)

18. JustinMinns

JustinMinns Well-Known Member

What is 'the 30' and how/when do people know if they've made it?

19. JustinMinns

JustinMinns Well-Known Member

It's ok, I've found the answer... but have another question!

When are the results of each round announced?

20. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

ROUND 1 will be published in the 31 March issue.

Results are published in the last issue of each month :)