1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY - how many entrants submit multiple entries?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Chester AP, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've noticed that a number of the winning images regularly have zero points because another image by the same entrant has earned points as a winner at higher position. Does anybody know the total number of entrants, and how many images each entrant submitted? Or to approach this another way, is it possible to swamp the competition with a large number of images to increase the chance that one of them might be what the judges like this month? This approach would remove the need for an entrant to select their best image(s) for submission, and increase the burden on the judges by adding to the number of entries to view.

Also, I suspect that some APOY images have previously been published in AP, but I cannot be sure because there may have been a long gap the article and the APOY round. Are there any rules about this, particularly if the image has previously been used in an AP article for which a payment was made?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought that was the entire point of allowing multiple entries. They still have to be good pictures.

I imagine you can get that from photocrowd. I'm not signed up so I haven't looked.

I don't recall seeing anything appear in AP in the comp that I've previously seen in AP

3. Chester AP

I'm not signed up to Photocrowd either (very careful with personal data), but expected that at least one Forum member might be and hence be able to answer the questions.

See picture 12 in the APOY portraits round in AP issue dated 31.08.19, and picture 6 in the APOY macro round in AP issue dated 28.09.19. Both looked very familiar, but possibly images that almost identical were published in AP (so similar that they might provide an exciting 'spot the difference' competition for the AP Christmas issue). I was just curious if any of the judges notice these images and check to see if they have been published in AP before.

Re. multiple entries and 'good pictures'. 'Good' is usually a matter of opinion, and what the judges 'like' varies from month to month and year to year, hence multiple submissions must increase the chance of providing what's liked this month.

4. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Since we started working with Photocrowd we have refined the rules of this competition as we have gone along to address to concerns made by our readers. So while people may enter as many times as they like (as they can with almost every photo competition) they only get one free entry (and even then only if they have bought a copy of AP and obtained the entry code). Also, if multiple images by the same photographer rank in the top 30, only the highest scoring one gains any points.
    We do not have any rules to state that images should not have been published before (in AP or anywhere else) because without an encyclopaedic memory or some kind of registration database there would be no way of policing this, but the judges, who are AP staff, would not knowingly choose an image that we know we have recently published in a feature.

Incidentally, the Photocrowd process is very transparent so it is easy to see both the number of entrants in each round, and their names of those entering. You should check it out. You do not need to be worried about data misuse because under GDPR you have to opt in to any use of your data outside of what is necessary by the website to run their business. Any breach of this would result in a fine of millions of pounds, so there is really nothing to worry about.

5. Chester AP

Thank you for the reply: I started the thread because I was curious to see if any other Forum members had noticed that some APOY images looked very familiar. The lack of responses suggests that most members are probably indifferent.

The example I noticed first was picture 12 in the APOY portraits round in AP issue dated 31.08.19. This unusual and very memorable image looks like one published in AP in an article within the last few months, and I was curious what your policy would be if this was correct.

Re. Photocrowd. Although AP's links with this website may have resulted in more APOY entries (like all those landscape format ones for the Christmas cover competition), you'll probably never know how many previous APOY entrants have now abandoned the competition because of the Photocrowd link. Also, if somebody chooses to upload dozens of images for one round of APOY, does AP get any of the fees paid for these entries, or does Photocrowd get it all? Hopefully AP gets a share.

6. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I dont recall previously publishing the image you refer to but its possible.
    We don't necessarily get many more entries, working with Photocrowd, but that isn't the reason for us working with them. We now have fewer than half of the number of staff we had five years ago, and most of us work from home four days a week. It simply isn't logistically possible to go back to the old system which was not only extremely time consuming to administer but required everyone to be in the office for the judging. Photocrowd's CMS technology makes judging much faster, easler to do remotely, easier to calculate scores, easier to administer. etc. For these reasons we will never go back to the old system. There are many benefits for the entrants too, such as being able to see all the entries, compare their work with others and track their progress, comment on pictures and receive feedback on their own, enter other contests etc etc.
    I really don't understand the reticence some people have about getting fully involved in the internet, and all the benefits it offers, out of fear something might happen to their data. To me its akin to having a nice car but never taking it out of the garage and driving it in case they have an accident. They're just missing out.

EightBitTony likes this.