1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2017

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by P_Stoddart, Apr 18, 2017.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Now I have been out of the loop so to speak.

But was APOY 2016 free to enter?

Seems quite expense to enter APOY 2017 looking at the photo crowd?

I always the sponsor covered the running costs etc. Plus the photographers work is use to promote the magazine.

Seems a bit daft now getting the photographers to pay to enter a competition which is there to promote a magazine and lens maker.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It suggests joining photocrowd is free, and you get one free entry into each month's APOY - however, it does seem to have jumped the shark.

I guess it's significantly less effort for AP than it would have been in previous years, allowing them to reduce their costs that wouldn't be covered by the sponsor.

Nigel_Atherton likes this.
  3. P_Stoddart

Yeah I see, it is still free in principle if you just put one entry per month. :)

You then have to pay if you want two or three entry etc per month.

Just I was thinking of entering again. Because have new work. that might get somewhere. :)

I can't see the T&C in terms of if you give up copyright etc and usage of work entered. Don't want to allow unlimited usage of images by Photocrowd & AP. LOL

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I cancelled my membership with photocrowd I was receiving too many emails or messages from them about various competitions they were running it began to be a nuisance, I dont intend to rejoin them just to enter poty so my chance now of winning a round is zero, its a bit like trying to win the lotto with extra numbers thrown in. I liked the old rules of one entry only! it gave everybody a equal chance, I think paying for extra entries is wrong...

5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Well I've joined and entered. Paying for extra entries is not for me. I understand the magazine business needs all the financial support it can receive this day and age and its a worthy cause to keep it going. But a greater chance of doing well for the better off seems a bit against the 'amateur' spirit.

Nigel_Atherton likes this.
  6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

If you win the first round then the second round you would probably pay for a few extra entries! and if you really done well in other rounds, well some people would spend a fortune on trying to win....no its not for me anymore....as you said the better off stand more chance and its seems a bit against the amateur spirit.

7. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Well I did win the first round last year. My choice of photos in the second round wasn't great and the current format might well have suited me, But would it have been fair - probably not.

8. P_Stoddart

Yeah, I had not thought of it like that. But it's correct if you have deep pockets you can buy bigger chunk into competition. :(

I agree goes against the AP spirit.

I urge AP to have a rethink on the APOY being structured like this.

If it is a question of money then fair enough charge for entry per round but 1 entry per shooter. Only give discount if you buy into all rounds.

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find any rules regarding photo size limits etc. Anyone any clues?

10. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

If we charged everyone to enter one image it wouldn't be free to anyone so I'm not sure how that would help the less well off. You only need one great image to win so giving everyone a free entry while introducing a commercial aspect that helps pay to keep it viable seems the best solution. If we'd kept it as it was it probably would not have continued for much longer in these challenging economic times.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. P_Stoddart

Me too :(

I have actually created the Photocrowd account to the point where it is asking for a image file.

BUT WHAT SIZE?! LOL

I can't find anything on there to say you should have say 10MP or 2MP or 1000MP :p LOL

I don't own a crystal ball AP.

Surely to be a fair competition there should be a standard size of digital image?

If I have missed these details I apologize but I have looked and looked. Can't see any image specs.

Please someone from AP help us

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What size image should I upload?
    We encourage you to upload the full-size JPEG file for each image. This allows the image to be displayed as large as possible on all monitors and devices.

Images can be up to 25mb in size, and 10,000 pixels on the longest side, which will be enough for most files. The minimum image size accepted on Photocrowd is 1080 pixels on the image's shortest side.

Why does my image change colour after upload?
    All images uploaded to Photocrowd are recommended to have a colour profile attached to them. Specifically this should be the sRGB colour profile, which gives the best chance of the image looking the same colour on Photocrowd as it does when you look at it on your monitor or device.

From https://www.photocrowd.com/support/

13. P_Stoddart

Right in the old APOY competition the image specs were as follows:

"2700 (3000 maximum) pixels along the its longest dimesion"

"the file name of your image must be first and surname"

like john smith.jpg

So I wonder if that holds for the 2017 competition?

14. P_Stoddart

Thanks for that. I will probably go with the 3000 pixel long edge myself.

I am a bit concerned about 3rd party usage of my images. With the old competition, files were emailed to AP so you knew only AP had them. :)

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If they are being judged on a monitor then it best they are sized no bigger than the viewing area of whatever program they are viewed with

16. P_Stoddart

If they are using say a 4K screen then it can show 3840x2160 :)

This why AP should really be precise on the image size.