1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2015 Round 6 - On the Street

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Aug 1, 2015.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Sorry, Kate.

I have it here in front of me.

The synopsis of all the rounds, published in AP of 7 March 2015 and cut out and kept on the notice board by my PC, is very clear : " Lie of the Land".

I would hate to be disqualified by using the wrong wording in the title bar of the e-mail (even if AP staff are not as literate as you and me. :) )

Eric

PS - Just checked this week's issue - it also says "Lie of the Land". So it wasn't just an error in the synopsis; it has been continued into the current week's announcement.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I know I end up going all around the houses trying to find the list of subjects - but!
    Here is a table I found.
    Plan your APOY 2015 year

Below is a list of this year’s rounds, a synopsis of what we’re looking for and the dates they will be announced. When you are planning your entry, remember to take into consideration the criteria of fulfilling the brief, creativity and technical excellence on which you will be judged.
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD] Theme[/TD]
    [TD] Synopsis[/TD]
    [TD]Announced [/TD]
    [TD] Closes
    midnight
    [/TD]
    [TD] Results [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 1. Night Life[/TD]
    [TD] Low Light Photography[/TD]
    [TD] 7 Mar[/TD]
    [TD] 29 Mar
    closed[/TD]
    [TD] 25 Apr[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 2. Going Abstract[/TD]
    [TD] Abstract images[/TD]
    [TD] 4 Apr[/TD]
    [TD] 26 Apr
    closed[/TD]
    [TD] 30 May[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 3. The Wider Perspective[/TD]
    [TD] Creative Wide Angle[/TD]
    [TD] 2 May[/TD]
    [TD] 31 May
    closed[/TD]
    [TD] 27 June[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 4. In Focus[/TD]
    [TD] Shallow depth of Field[/TD]
    [TD] 6 June[/TD]
    [TD] 28 June
    closed[/TD]
    [TD] 25 July[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 5. Up Close[/TD]
    [TD] Macro (insects/flowers/plants)[/TD]
    [TD] 4 Jul[/TD]
    [TD] 26 Jul
    closed[/TD]
    [TD] 29 Aug[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 6. On the Street[/TD]
    [TD] Street Photography[/TD]
    [TD] 1 Aug[/TD]
    [TD] 30 Aug[/TD]
    [TD] 26 Sept[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 7. Lay of the Land[/TD]
    [TD] Landscape and cityscapes[/TD]
    [TD] 5 Sept[/TD]
    [TD] 27 Sept[/TD]
    [TD] 24 Oct[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 8. Shades of Grey[/TD]
    [TD] Black & White[/TD]
    [TD] 3 Oct[/TD]
    [TD] 1 Nov[/TD]
    [TD] 28 Nov[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...er-of-the-year-2015-42803#7BBwJ0wi7DoJyYDh.99
    Which interpretation to pick? I can envisage some nice rolling nude landscapes! :)
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/apoy/amateur-photographer-of-the-year-2015-42803

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The dictionaries I have consulted suggest that both "Lie" and "Lay" are correct but "Lay" is much more common - "Lie" being usually confined to British English. I do think that consistency would be a good thing

4. PhotoEcosse

That reminds me of a story about an artist who was commissioned to paint a mural for the new offices of the Usher's Brewery in Edinburgh. It involved depicting a couple fornicating beside a waterfall but AP's profanity filter would not allow me to give you the punchline.

It was along the lines of "But my painting represents Usher's beer - ******* near water.

I'll collect my hat on the way out!

5. Catriona

Hope it's a hard hat!
    Actually 'Lay of the Land' is open to nice lateral thinking. A boardroom? A Disco? The Lounge Bar? Even a war zone. Apart from a literal meaning!

6. PhotoEcosse

I don't think lateral thinking goes down well in APOY, Kate - but I would love to be proved wrong.

Eric

7. Catriona

Oh, so would I, Eric. I'm just getting too old...

8. Catriona

Maybe I should have put this one in. Mind you, perhaps it will do for sussing out 'the lay of the land' ?
    [​IMG][/URL]wet stornoway by Kate Ferris, on Flickr[/IMG]

9. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Maybe - I'm hopeful with this one, third place surely - it's definitely street photography :p

[​IMG]

10. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Eric Idle used a similar statement as part of the introduction to "The Philopher's Song" at the Hollywood Bowl...

"American Beer is a lot like making love in a canoe - it's [Content removed] close to water."

If you haven't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9SqQNgDrgg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  11. Catriona

Haha!
    At last I got the allusion. Gosh, I'm getting slow.

12. Catriona

Only too familiar a view! Your yellow line painters are definitely a cut above mine. Straight?? My goodness. :)

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ah, so very close to one of my favourite rude jokes.

Have you ever had sex while camping?
    It's [Content removed] in tents.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  14. chelseafc

chelseafc Active Member

Hmmm... I like results of this round :) The winner is a little unexpected, but people in jury have their own taste :)

15. Catriona

I'm pleased that the winner doesn't follow the formula of the second and third shots. It's a refreshing change. The second one reminded me of Damien (Demolder) and his liking for strong light and shade with a person in the frame.

16. chelseafc

chelseafc Active Member

One question about the prize - Did anyone from the forum use this Sigma DP2? Is it good? Looks interesting, but not for all of photographers