1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2015 round 2 - Going Abstract

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, get in there! Definitely worth it. Certain names seem to be missing from the winners of the first round....... so there's hope yet. :)

Kate

2. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Entry in. Kate is right. Most names ring not a bell from previous rounds.
    Good luck to all,
    Cheers,
    Luis

3. Dalton54

Dalton54 Member

Hi Kate and fellow Forum Members,

I wonder if the reduction in the amount of prizes (no second and third places) and the the specific nature of a prize that can only be used if you already have a camera of that make, has brought out interest from a different group of entrants at a loss of some of the "regulars". I know that a great many of you enter just to see if you can get a picture published (as I did) and would enter even if a bucket with a hole in it was the prize, but I'm guessing that the changes that have been made to the prizes will have had an impact on some who were influenced by the size of the prize and less on that warm glow of having a picture in the magazine. But as you hint, this may open the door up for some to have that lovely feeling if some of the old guard have decided to move on to more lucrative pastures.

Steve

4. Catriona

You are probably right, Steve. You are certainly right in your feelings about prizes. I couldn't care less either. Being published is prize enough for me too.

I get the feeling that AP is definitely trying for the younger crowd but since I'm definitely an old fogie, I'm not sure what would attract them.

I suspect more instant feedback? Wouldn't mind that myself. Even at my ripe old age, AP moves slowly and unenthusiastically on the competition front. Better software for entries, better feedback on APOY - such as websites used for Salon entries, where you see who has entered, how many entered and even on some good sites, can scan down thumbnails and see the scores afterwards.

AP is still in the old style attraction to punters and even here, frustration rules plenty of times! :)
    Kate

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I hope I am not wrong when I say that I hope the "that make" part is wrong.

I assumed that the Sigma lenses being offered would be supplied in the lens mount (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc.) of the winner's choice.

Maybe AP need to clarify that, although I am like Kate in that the prizes are very much secondary to the thrill of getting into the Top 50..

Eric

6. DigiDiva

DigiDiva Active Member

I'm new here. can anyone explain how the Poty works and am I too late to join in? Thanks.

7. Catriona

8. PhotoEcosse

Am I alone in regretting the fact that the internet means that APOY can now be entered by people who do not actually buy the magazine?

Perhaps a token system might work?

Or is the competition more about publicising the sponsor than selling magazines?

Eric

9. Catriona

I don't think it matters. AP is obviously trying to get a younger following and online is the way it is choosing. Facebook finds a lot of younger people. Flickr too - just look at how many photos have been posted to APs Flickr page (I don't now, but that's my choice). Advertising is the key for APs profits.

I would just love a slicker method of entering. It is back in the stone age! I also think AP loses out by being terrible slow in feedback. Communication is key to involvement and participation. I actually think they should be far better with online communication and feedback - and definitely slicker with APOY.

Kate

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

This certainly doesn't induce me to enter. What's the point in trying to win something I'll never have any use for? Having said that, I've entered this round (Abstracts) but that's more out of a desire to try and stir things up a little, to lure the judges out of their comfort zones. I won't get anywhere near the chosen thirty of course...................

Lynn

11. Catriona

Trouble is, I think the sponsors have moved on to more lucrative pastures.
    I have entered this month's but like you, I don't hold out much hope! I probably won't bother with next month's wide angle isn't it?
    Anyway, I've tried now and then over the last year or two, so time to move on to pastures new myself.

12. PhotoEcosse

You are too modest, Kate.

Several times I have seen your name in the "honours list".

Nil carborundum illigitimi!

Eric

13. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

I agree - even if no prizes were on offer I'd still enter as nothing can beat the satisfaction of a published photo. The prize is just the icing on the cake.

In relation to the current prizes on offer - sell/trade if the camera is not compatible.

14. Catriona

Ah well. I think I've been on it a couple of times, but that's all. :)

15. Catriona

Hey-ho!
    I got nowhere. I don't think I saw your name either, Lynn? Apologies if I got that wrong. http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...876774c2ea4eda5dc017afcb2&elqCampaignId=10808

I like the winning shot.

As The Doors said... this is the end....

Kate

16. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

I didn't get anywhere either - but then again I'm not surprised. Not my strongest submission ever. I like the 2nd place for 2 reasons.

One, its a doggie shot (sort of)
    Two, its by one of my fellow members in Dublin camera club.

I got a reasonable entry in for round 3 - its done OK for me in club competition. Its meant to be enjoyable anyway :)

17. Catriona

Oh no it isn't! That's the monthly comp's ethos. :)
    APOY is shorguns at dawn territory. lol
    Kate

18. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

My submission too wasn't particularly strong so no complaints.

The top winners from the 1st round didn't score big in the 2nd so it's still fairly wide open.

19. Bonniedarko

Bonniedarko New Member

It's my first year of entering APOY and I must say I'm finding the whole thing very exciting so far. I like the fact (it's one of the big reasons I entered) that it pushes you to shoot genres you wouldn't normally shoot. If you want to do well in it you have to enter every round you can.
    Really looking forward to round 3, the creative wide angle interpretation should be interesting.
    A few tricky rounds coming up too but I welcome the challenge :)
    Matt

20. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

My shot was not to be seen either

[​IMG]

Wide angles stuff needs to go in very soon.