1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2015 - coming soon

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

2. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Should be about time to get the monthly themes :confused:

3. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Will the photo submission format remain as I noted that entrants details in TPOTY remain anonymous to the judges.

http://www.tpoty.com/judging

4. PMurrell

The above question is not in any way aimed at any individual(s) whether participating or those who take part in the selection process but it appears other competitions tend to use some kind of 'software' that withholds details.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree with you that this should be the way forward for AP. However, I doubt it will happen - along with the lack of information on numbers etc. I guess I'm just the 'picky virgo' moniker of my past.

Kate

6. Aga n Chickens

Aga n Chickens Well-Known Member

I have just read the latest news about the APOY rounds in my subscription copy of the latest magazine. This year only the first place entrant wins a prize instead of first, second and third places. This months prize is a flashgun, lens and a USP dock. Both my cameras are Nikon coolpix (one is a bridge camera and the other a handy travel compact) and neither of them possess a hot shoe attachment or have a screw threat to enable me to attach other lenses. If by any fluke I were to win Round One I would have to buy another camera so that I could make use of the attachments.

Christine

7. Catriona

Hmm
    Maybe they should just skip the rounds and give out the prize now...

8. PMurrell

I'm looking forward this year. Will pick up my copy come Tuesday to view the challenges that lie ahead.

9. Catriona

Have fun.

10. PMurrell

Looking forward to beating my 2013 points tally of 42 and my 2014 tally of 43.

11. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what the categories are on Tuesday. I'd love to improve on my previous efforts but I have less time than ever to get out shooting.

Good luck to everyone who enters - may you enjoy the journey

12. PMurrell

This year I will make more of an effort in being patient rather than feeling the need to submit an entry the day a theme opens. Learnt some valuable lessons last year and still chuffed with my 8th place in the final round (Architecture).

13. Catriona

Night Life
    Abstract
    Wideangle
    In Focus (shallow dof)
    Up Close (macro)
    Street
    Landscape/cityscape
    Shades of Grey (B&W)

March - October 2015
    Have fun.

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I think we were half-expecting a Creative category this year. Sorry to see there is not one to suit the Photoshop artists.

However, a good spread of topics otherwise which should keep us busy.

I don't know to what extent the reduction of the monthy prizewinners from three to one might reduce entries. Possibly not at all. Ditto the reduction from 10 rounds to 8. (is it becoming more difficult to find generous sponsors for what many amateur photographers would regard as the UK's premier magazine-based photo comp?)

Eric

15. PMurrell

A few notable manufacturer sites have also downscaled their monthly prizes but I also think it will not reduce entries as exposure (no pun intended) has its weight in gold.

16. Catriona

How many enter?

With the same name/s cropping up, I wonder.

17. PMurrell

Not sure to be honest but guess it may well could have been a factor.

18. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

In commercial terms, I very much doubt if the number of entrants has much relevance to the sponsors. What they are buying is a highly featured mention of their name and their products in the magazine.

Like Kate, I would be interested to see a breakdown of entry numbers. There is less kudos from getting into the top-50 if there are 60 entrants than if there are 200.

Eric

19. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

The number of entries of course varies with each round, so lets say 800.

m

20. Aga n Chickens

Aga n Chickens Well-Known Member

I have entered every round for the last 2 years without a single point to my name. I still intend to enter each round this year if only to see if any of my entries gets a mention. Last year I made the short list in a couple of rounds in the forum comp so who knows, I may be improving.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (apologies for a couple of typos but I couldn't find a way to edit them out), my cameras would not be able to make use of the items offered for first prize, so I would only be entering to see how my pictures do now that I know that there could be 800 other entrants.

Christine