1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2013 Round 2 - Life in Motion

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Feb 26, 2013.

1. johncb84

johncb84 Well-Known Member

I like it a lot; it has a great sense of motion/speed about it and looks pin-sharp inside the car. However, judging by other photography contests I have seen on this subject matter, the APOY judges will be probably receiving quite a few shots of this type; shots of motion from inside/on moving vehicles,trains etc; it will depend what they are looking for, but you certainly seem to have met their brief. Plus it’s better than mine, I think! :)

2. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Yes this entry is very good and to me it sums up the entry's theme! but do we really want to see any entry on this site before the competition has been judged! why not put it on afterwards for the readers thoughts........getting back to the competition Life in Motion..I am always troubled by the pixel size of the image..2700 pixels on the longest size, thats one hell of a size to send! sometimes on my system it takes about 5 minutes to go through and on one of my laptops the system froze for an hour or so before it went through, I often wonder whether the downloads get through at all! but I always get a reply saying that AP has received my entry....any thoughts on this?

3. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

I quite agree, it is not really appropriate to put your entry on the forum before the judges have done their bit and results are announced. If members thoughts were being sought like they are here it could have been put into the Appraisal Gallery but without announcing that this is a APOY entry, just simply asking for opinion!

IMHO it is out of order to place the image here in the way it has been, but that is just my opinion.

Ian

4. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

I did put it on here after the closing date and its 100% relevant to the thread.
    Rather than just putting it in the Appraisal Gallery I thought it would be better to be appraised in this thread given that the APOY round brief is the most important consideration when you're giving your opinion.
    to be honest I was hoping that more people would upload their images so we could see what some of the rest of the entries were like and how they interpreted the brief so surely this is the best place to put them rather than have them randomly scattered around the forum.

5. ianwaite

It's mainly the fact you have put an un-judged competition entry for comment by the forum members which is viewed by magazine staff who may be involved in the competition judging. It might be relevant to the thread but IMHO is morally questionable. There is an Appraisal Gallery for a reason, it's where you can get appraisal and critique on your images, if we all start putting images just anywhere we want it will get increasingly messy. I would humbly suggest in future if you want appraisal for a current APOY entry, then you put it in the Appraisal Gallery and don't announce to the world that it is an APOY entry.

Ian

6. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

The magazine staff are going to see the image anyway regardless of where I post the image in the forum so I dont see why it matters.
    Like I said, Its within the context of the thread and it was posted after the closing date.
    If the post was at the beginning of the month then I would agree with you as it would mean that my image has an extra 25 or more days to be in the judges minds.
    But this is all assuming that the judges read this forum, which I doubt.

7. ianwaite

It matters from the point of if we all disobey the forum rules and post where the hell we want the place would become awfully cluttered and disorganised very quickly. On top of this, those of us who give regular critique to help other members know where in the forum to find those images put forward for us to appraise and critique.

Excerpt from competition rules: Rule 11. Employees of IPC Media, Panasonic UK and their families may not enter this competition. Entries are judged by AP staff.

AP staff act as moderators throughout the forum, so therefore yes, they do see the posts made throughout the forum.

I have put images in for appraisal before submission, but not close to a submission date and after results have been published, but before submission I would never dream of saying I intended submitting it. I would never ask for appraisal while the judging process is undergoing as it could be seen badly. Of course once results are published, then in my opinion there are no issues with saying I submitted this what do you guys think? Why did it do badly or well?

Ian

8. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

I really dont see how it matters where it is in the forum.
    If I made the post after the results are published it just look like sour grapes for not getting into the magazine.

have you submitted one this month ?

9. ianwaite

Yes, I submit every round, I don't think it looks like sour grapes just that your keen to improve or know where you went wrong, although it's not necessarily that you did either! You could have just come 51st when the list only goes to 50.

Ian

10. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

I've submitted pretty much every round for the last 3 years (apart from a few last year when I got a bit disheartened) and I've only had 1 in the top 30.
    I dont expect to be top 30 every month but you might think once a year I might scrape one in and to be honest I was starting to wonder whether I'm being disqualified or something and since you dont get email replies from AP thats why I'm on the forum.

what did you think of last months top 30 ?

11. ianwaite

I'm always surprised with some of the entries how high they ranked, but everybody seems to judge differently and look for different things. With one or two images I wasn't even convinced it was artificial light. At least I made the points, but felt it should have done better (but you always do with your own entry).

Ian

12. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

I'm quite funny with my entries, I tend to leave it until the last day to enter just in case I come up with a better picture on the last day but as a result a few weeks later I start questioning my processing, for example I think this one is a tad dark on the roof of the car now.
    I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about last month just because of the quality of the top 30.
    Normally I pick the magazine up and think yep they are defiantly better than mine (like your great outdoors picture) and I go away thinking I must try harder.
    This months images you can completely pick apart quality wise, there was too many studio shots, a few quite softly focused and you're right about the non artificial light, I thought 2nd place had to have natural light in it since there was only 1 catch light in the mans eyes

13. ianwaite

I have to confess my round 1 was a studio type shot albeit done at home, but at least it was fully artificial light. But at the end of the day a decision has to be made by someone and I'm quite glad it's not me. I can imagine it being very hard decisions with the number of entries that must be received.

Ian

14. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

yeah you're probably right, it must be pretty difficult doing the judging year after year and like I said normally I'm 100% in agreement with them.
    To be honest I like the fact that its a hard competition to do well in, the 1 top 30 I got I was chuffed to bits with...just hoping for another !

15. ianwaite

Just keep plugging on, it's all you can do. Keep putting stuff into the appraisal gallery, there are of course one or two idiots pass comment, but you soon realise whose comments are worth listening to. I find quite often it might just be a slightly better crop or a bit of levels that make the difference. sometimes it just takes someone else to view and make a comment for you to see something a different way and make a good image into a fantastic one.

Ian

16. andiblake

andiblake Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by bevlad[​IMG]here's my entry into this months theme.
    any constructive criticism would be welcome.

Gets my vote DEFO...my only beef....would of got rid of the berghaus tag on the back of the coat,not sure on ap advertising policys on images that go to press? and maybe the mirror.i looked and thought is there a possible driving offence here? not sure what if any...maybe driving without due care and attention....again im not sure of the magazines policy of printing images that may or may not promote a criminal offence...maybe one of the keyboard warriors can answer this...kind regards and good luck sir...Blake
    p.s..forgot to ask...on your welders photo has he got proper welders glasses on as i can see his eyes...again it may be a health and saftey issue as to why you never got placed?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  17. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

Lol,
    yeah, I think you are allowed to look in your rear view mirror, it is what its there for and I did think about the Berghaus tag but it's only the logo so you would have to know what it was to make the connection, also where would you draw the line ? I couldn't remove the fact that it was taken inside of a Mini.
    Your right about the welding goggles too, he was using grinding googles which have a metal gauze sides which I thought might catch the light a bit better.
    He had his eye's closed so he was ok, I however was seeing pink elephants for hours after taking the picture.

18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Bevlad.......Have you submitted one yet?...........Yes I have! but I missed round 1.... the first I have missed for a long time.......there is a appraisal section for the feedback on the pictures! as other people has suggested.........

19. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

IvorCamera.... like it