1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2013 - Results for Round 4 - Interior Architecture

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Amateur Photographer, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You are not alone! :)
    I think the thing which upset me most was the 2nd placed picture. Did you see the settings?? I would have been too embarrassed to put that picture in - but then, I know what the settings mean...
    PS I have looked at your picture and really like it. Difficult to get the composition right, but you nailed it!;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Thanks Kate. Been taking photos for 1.5 years and everyday is a learning curve. I didn't enter the flower round but will do for the People at Work and B&W Cityscape.

3. cas100uk

cas100uk Well-Known Member

Naturally composition matters and other items you mentioned as these all make a better photo. This was the technical brief and round description.

Points are awarded to each image for creativity, technical excellence and how well the image fulfils the brief. Judges are looking for original, imaginative and well-executed pictures that explore the theme in an exciting way.

What images do you think of when someone says the word architecture? No doubt your mind instantly jumps to the grand exterior architecture of a cathedral or the slick modern designs often found in major cities. But for this round we want you to try something different. Walk through the doors of a building and take a look round. Within those walls you can find countless opportunities, from the graphic shapes of a spiralling staircase to the quiet atmosphere of an abandoned building. Interior architecture is a genre we perhaps don't see enough of, so this is a great opportunity to explore this neglected facet of photography. Images can be found in the home, public locations, abandoned buildings (make sure you seek permission and stay safe) and even your own garden shed. Looking around these places your photographic instinct will kick in and you'll soon begin to see that every one of these locations is capable of delivering some fantastic images. Where you shoot doesn't matter. You're also free to shoot in either colour or black & white. There are no hard-and-fast rules here. This is your opportunity to show us the most interesting interiors you can find.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Goes double for this comp.

As long as I can remember, the judges in this comp have allowed the broadest possible interpretation of the theme, and have gone for emotional impact above all. Personally, that's one of the things I admire about it - I can't stand over-anal interpretation of themes, and I can't see the point of technique being more important than content. As a much better photographer than me has recently said, "I really do think giving more time to content rather than quality, would benefit most of us. "

5. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Ok. I'm sort of getting it now. But surely a good technique adds to the shot when dealing with static objects, like architecture,? You should, in most cases, have the time to 'get it right' as opposed to a momentary opportunity?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Then I think themes or subjects should be dropped.
    Just make it an open competition.
    Put in your best HDR, sunrise, sunset, high contrast picture.
    Forget quality, just go for in-your-face impact.

No-one here is being over-anal about themes, but if they are given for the monthly competition, then some nod to them would be good. Since this magazine goes for (apart from ads) ways to improve your skills? Then show that too in the winning pictures.
    If they want to dumb down, fine. Just make it open subject anything goes, but don't then call it prestigious, or expect it to be highly thought of as an achievement to win it! Good grief, we don't even know who the judges are month to month!

7. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

I never looked at the settings, it looks like it might have been on auto or something.
    Why would you have your iso so high when there's enough light for a shutter speed of 1/4000sec. I'd have gone for iso100 and a shutter speed of about 1/200th.
    I still like the image though but I suppose it's a bit of a stretch for interior architecture.

8. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I like this and you managed to get it when lit up, I was in two minds about using a picture of this structure as I thought it would appear a lot in this round.

I went for a more general view of the station

http://www.flickr.com/photos/londonbackpacker/9033699105/

9. HelGroumy

HelGroumy New Member

A friend of mine just showed me this forum - I wasn't aware of it. I took this picture.

Almost everything about the image settings was deliberate and yes, when I entered the picture I knew what the settings looked liked but the picture obviously didn't look embarassing.

1) The space was an architectural exhibit by Russian architects (SPEECH Tchoban & Kuznetsov). I mentioned that in the mail when I entered.

2) I was chasing my son around. He wasn't waiting for me. He was walking, running, jumping and sliding on the smooth floor. I was trying to go for shutter speeds of 1/500 - 1/1000 to freeze action in the structure.

3) The lighting inside the construction was changing constantly - from pitch black to super bright- so I didn't have time to adjust manually. But mostly low light. So I went for 1600 ISO to get the shutter speeds I wanted.

In other words, I was running after a kid in a room where the lighting was changing every second. I went for aperture priority so I could work on the constantly changing composition. The moment I snapped that shot, the light turned on at its brightest - that was completely unexpected.

This isn't typical architecture photography. I was trying to capture the life (action) within the context of the structure while trying to showcase the structure. So no, it wasn't strictly about the architecture.

If anyone else has any ideas of how to freeze moving subjects in constantly changing lighting (mostly low light but also bursts of bright light) - I'd be grateful for your ideas. This was my approach to the situation.

10. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

If anyone else has any ideas of how to freeze moving subjects in constantly changing lighting (mostly low light but also bursts of bright light) - I'd be grateful for your ideas. This was my approach to the situation.[/QUOTE]

You're right to bump the iso up to speed up your shutter speed, I'd go for aperture priority and let the camera worry about the shutter speed, dial in a bit of exposure bias, either plus or minus to suit the scene (I tend to go darker to make it moody).
    Try using spot metering as well rather than evaluated that way you'll get your subject perfectly exposed.
    You could also try some TTL flash with it then the shutter speed isnt quite as important