1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2013 - Results for Round 4 - Interior Architecture

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Amateur Photographer, Jun 25, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

See the results >here< for Round 4 - Interior Architecture

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well, you've certainly excelled yourselves this time. There's interpretation of themes and then there's yours...

3. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Mine didn't make it, though I am happier with my image than with some I see in this gallery. It's a matter of tastes. Are the verticals Ok in the third place or is it my eyes? What amazes me the most is how last year's ladder became a tower :) Could they be called cousins?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I'm under no illusion about the type of photographs I take but I did feel my picture for this round would make the top 50.

The last two rounds I have made the top 50 with pictures I thought had no chance of scoring.

:confused:

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Hmmm. See what you mean Kate.

6. luisport

Kate was very keen with her comment ;)

7. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

I agree, the verticals are a bit off in #3 you can tell by the windows in the roof that he was a tiny bit off center but I dont think it kills the image.
    The yellow office corridor one is off center and badly focused, it's striking when its a thumbnail but close up its pretty sloppy.

Overall though I thought this month was quite strong and I'm not too gutted that I didnt make the top 50

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm left asking myself why 'Memory Void' (Peter Chinnock) with that myriad assortment of strange metallic objects, whose seemingly tormented facial expressions looked as though they were in anguished purgatory, didn't score more highly. A truly haunting image.

9. Catriona

It is a fascinating picture indeed. Interior architecture doesn't immediately hit me looking at the image, but the questions of what and where certainly do! Very haunting, but maybe just the wrong place at the wrong time.

10. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Have to gently disagree, Kate, if it was included then it qualified as 'Interior architecture', and the building in which the objects lay was certainly a piece of architecture. But whatever, it's a powerfully memorable picture.

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I speak out of turn but 3rd place is compositionally very sloppy indeed. If you're going to make something central, then surely it has to be DEAD CENTRE, No?

12. Catriona

Well, I'm beginning to feel bad about being critical of the judging.

After all, it was past the office cleaner's going home time and she was rushed... ;)

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

You could always offer to loan her your new super vac!

14. Catriona

Absolutely!! Hahahaha!

15. Brendan1980

Brendan1980 Well-Known Member

It does seemthat a few rounds so far have cause a little controversy when it's come to the judging.

Maybe in future there should be a list of things that the judges are looking for. for instance, does composition matter? what about focus, lighting, etc? OR is it just purely about the general feel of an image as long as it generally fits the theme in some way? Knowing this would sure alter the way in which I shoot my entries, and I'm sure others would too.

16. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Round 5 - Floral Still Life

Now where's that picture of a half eaten kipper on top of a dustbin lid? I could pretend it was an orchid kipper. But then it probably wouldn't score any points because the judges might think it really was a flower and then it wouldn't win anyway.

Bet the winner doesn't have a flower in it. :)

17. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I maybe in with a chance then :) lol

18. luisport

Let your photography be free and keep it away from anybody's judgement. That's what will make it meaningful to you. Don't let yourself be driven by people with most likely different concepts about concepts.

19. Brendan1980

Brendan1980 Well-Known Member

I intend to do that anyway. I just meant in terms of this competition. :)

20. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

The following link is to my entry for this competition and rather pleased that I made the top 50 http://500px.com/photo/29628487 , this being my debut. I think it would have done better if i had an 10mm wide angle as opposed to my 16mm.

Looking at the winning images, though striking 1st and 2nd places are, do they both fit the definition of 'interior architecture' with emphasis on the word architecture?

Apart from the inside of the door there is no interior in the winning image and the 2nd place image appears to be that of exhibition/art gallery? Great silhouette.

or am I just being a moany (not so) old git?