1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aphantasia ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Terrywoodenpic, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of Aphantasia.
    I have always had it...:(
    I did not even know it existed.
    Or that most people could visualise images in their minds eye.
    If you had suggest that they could, I would have though it was just science fiction.
    Though it seems to at least sometimes withe the extreme disadvantage of not being able to put names to faces... which is my problem:(
    Any one else suffer from it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To a degree. That's why I take pictures.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Saw this last week in relation to news item about Pixar.
    My trouble is that using my mind's eye in daylight causes me to nod off

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Yes I do. Didn't realise that most people could actually "see" an image until I was in my teens.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yes I heard of it recently. I thought everyone could picture things in the minds eye. I can and thought that was the case for everyone.

Catriona likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not heard of it, interesting. I can't visualise on demand or imagine what something would look like from a description but I am sure that I "see" when I am dreaming.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I can visualise easily, but remember names to go with the faces? No. I relied on my husband for that for 45 years.
    The only way I remember names is to write them down and repeat them every day for a week. Then it stays in my memory! I guess writing it down puts an image in my head and I can remember that.

8. dream_police

I visualise as a matter of course, I really can’t imagine not doing it. I struggle to see how one wouldn’t do that.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

At school we found out the easiest way to remember a fact was to write it down...……… I think

Terrywoodenpic and Catriona like this.
  10. Catriona

Yes. In fact, thinking about it, it must be that you can then visualise it, instead of it just being a sound to remember in relation to a face etc. I need to associate things in other ways too. Words with music stick in my head too.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's the other way around for me. I think that's why I'm a "happy snapper". I find the monthly competitions very hard. I can't go out and take a picture to a brief. If I take a picture and later decide it might fit the brief then that's the closest I get.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I thought Aphantasia was Rees-Mogg’s other sister.

Geren, CollieSlave, Trannifan and 5 others like this.
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'm sure I must have it, but it is impossible to know what others can "see". I know I don't have a creative bone in my body, but a fairly well developed sense of visual art. But I think I know it when I see it, more than imagine it without physically trying it.

14. Catriona

Epic, just epic!! Laughed my socks off!

15. dream_police

Out of interest those that don’t visualise, what do you “see”?

An example. This morning my wife asked if I had seen our cat Kotaro when I got up. As she asked I could see a picture of him. As I write this I can see him as if I’m looking at a photo. Would you see nothing at all if asked a similar question of something familiar to you?

Geren and Catriona like this.
  16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I know what things look like, but I don't see them. But I can see faces in wallpaper, clouds etc.

Geren likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The nearest I can describe my experience is that I can "see" a very fuzzy and fleeting image of something. For example I can see my old school but the image disolves very quickly and there's no detail. At that I'm probably better off than a lot of sufferers.

18. Catriona

Exactly. I can't see how anyone can function without seeing objects in their minds.

Every day we walk around our homes navigating here and there. You notice if something is out of place (a sock on the floor, something on the table etc) that is unusual. It is unusual because you have a visual memory of how things should look.

Anyway, as Nige says, conjuring up an image of something familiar is an every day occurence for me, at least. Even going back many many years to my childhood.

dream_police likes this.
  19. dream_police

Ok. I’m now stood in my school playground looking at my school. I can visualise turning my head left and right, up and down and see it as best as I can remember it. I am now entering the door on the right seeing the stairs and even smelling the chemistry labs.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

I see the wooden benches we sat at in the science room. I see the dual desk/bench I sat in at primary school, with Mary sitting next to me and one day slithering to the floor in a faint. Not that I knew what a faint was then since I must have been about five years old. I remember the black doll's pram I had, with the gold stripe on the carriage. That was when I was very very young, probably no more than three. That's it though! :)