1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aperture Question...

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by jimk17, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jimk17

jimk17 New Member

Hi All,

New to photography as a whole and 99% of people will probably laugh when they see this question but i simply cannot get my head around it. So when altering the aperutre the lower the f number the larger the aperture and the shallower the field of focus - so you can focus on a single object therefore blurring the foregeound and background. This where i pose my question; why on a wide angle lense (say a 15mm) which i would assume is used for a landscape photo is the f number so low? Wouldn't this mean that the field of focus is shallow so the image will not be focused?

Sorry if it is a daft question i just wanted to get an answer so i can stop pondering.

Any replies are greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys,

Jim

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Depth of field also depends on focal length and subject to camera distance. The shorter the focal length then the greater the depth of field for a given aperture. Compact camera and phone camera lenses have tiny focal lengths which is why it is really hard to get an out of focus shot today compared to 35 mm film compacts where "seeing if the film came out" was a standard experience. There is a depth of field calculator on the cambridge in colour website that you can use to see the effects.

jimk17 likes this.
  3. jimk17

jimk17 New Member

Thank you Pete :)