1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP moving to Farnborough - end of seminars?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by wozza, Nov 19, 2015.

1. wozza

wozza Member

I hear AP is moving west.

Does this mean the end of London seminars? Would be a shame. I've enjoyed several Nikon School events.

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Where abouts in Farnborough? That's only just down the road from me.....

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You had to be taught how to keep doors open? Wow. ;)

4. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

The IQ, not far from the runway :)

m

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would be more likely to attend a seminar in Farnborough than London. There are nice hotels at modest prices (providing one avoids a big event at the aerodrome). I hate London.
    There's also pleasant photogenic stuff in the area.
    I think that AP staff have done rather better than BBC staff who got shifted to Salford.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Me too, as I live within easy striking distance of it.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with working in Salford.
    and you sell a one bedroom flat in london a buy and can buy a fine detached house up here and still have change.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there will be a few changes happening with the forum too? Such a pity the Gallery has gone and such a pity the monthly comp seems to have been flushed away too. Little things, but they helped this site chug along.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The Gallery hasn't gone gone, I'm assured it will return - although when, I know not.

10. RogerMac

I know two sites that manage to run successful equivalents of our monthly competition without using their equivalent of our (late, lamented) gallery. Admittedly in both the next judge / organiser is the previous winner but that is not essential and with a bit of thought and care a good competition is possible even in the total absence of galleries.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well we ran it here without the gallery for years. That's up to Oliver to sort out.

12. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Indeed.

However, sometimes things just run their course - like Bench of the Month or First View. ;)

Talking of which, I'm about to let the FV domain lapse (28/12/2015), unless there's any serious interest in a resurgence (and redesign and oiling - it's been untouched for five years and several cogs have seized up altogether).

13. RogerMac

What's the FV domain please

14. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

15. RogerMac

Thanks. I must admit I did not know it existed so it would be hypocritical to make a fuss!

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten the old FV feature had it's own website - end of an era when it goes...:rolleyes:

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So how many hits has this old site received in the last few hours. It's quite charming rather than great. Perhaps the site could be kept alive and opened for new entries every few years starting from 1st January 2016.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  18. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm wondering what test shots will regularly feature once The Team has settled in Farnborough..... the Whittle memorial in the middle of a certain roundabout, the Clockhouse, the (Scottish-sounding) fast-food drive-through, ASDA, B&Q ???

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Maybe something more Contemporary? When you have to think about it, it's surprising what you find!