1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP issue dated 15.12.18 - Inbox letter from Mrs Trellis

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Chester AP, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Fellow fans of BBC Radio 4's 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' will recognise the name of the regular correspondent from North Wales and applaud that she has now started writing to AP too.

It makes an interesting contrast to the third paragraph on page 25. The luxury of being able to accept a free 500 mm F 4 lens instead of a free car, presumably because there will still be somebody available to drive him on the 14 hour trip to his favourite photo location. At least he appears to know how to use all the hardware, unlike some people I've seen struggling with kit like this and blaming the poor results on the hardware and not their own inexperience. Which brings me back to the very perceptive letter...

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Mark my words: we'll soon start getting letters from 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam. :eek:

3. Chester AP

I understand the reference, but don't believe there is a Mrs Trellis connection.

More seriously, I read the letter immediately before reading the paragraph I referred to on page 25.
    One of these people lives in the real world and one doesn't, but I'm not sure which is which.

4. Andrew Flannigan

I'm quite sure "the lad" would make one up if it suited him. :D

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't listened to I'm sorry I haven't a clue for many years and didn't pick up on the Mrs Trellis connection but I agree that the letter reads as a send up.

While we are on the subject of this AP issue. Is it just me or does the text accompanying back-in-the-day 1957 demonstrate genuine misunderstanding that the cover is an advertisement for Ilford or is it an attempt to entertain that I somehow fail to appreciate ? A bit like Mrs Trellis' letter.

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Mrs Trellis always wrote a good letter, but it was Samantha's adventures (courtesy of SIHAC's writer, Ian Pattinson) that always provided me with the best laughs.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

In the same issue our editor gave some excellent advice to correspondant Andrew S Redding. His last sentence in particular is not quite what sellers of the EOS R would want to read.

8. Chester AP

I'm always impressed when AP feels that it can make a justified criticism of expensive kit, or in this case the lack of it too.
    It's easy to lavish praise on the latest expensive kit, so the caveats in the original AP review, and this advice, are a welcome balance.

However, I suspect that many potential purchasers with deep pockets and no interest in asking too many questions (or the knowledge needed to ask them) will it buy with the 24-105 lens regardless of any comment in AP, and never take the lens off the camera body. And they will love it until Canon replace it and tell them that they should upgrade.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am all for not buying the latest gear but if some people can afford to and they enjoy it, I don't see a problem. It helps to keep the used market well stocked for the likes of me.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Chester AP

I agree completely: I've commented on other Forum threads that in my opinion the only benefit I get from new stuff is that one day I may be able to afford it secondhand, so the more new stuff sold and traded in because of pointless 'upgrades', the better the secondhand market is for you and I.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

What a strange way to express yourself. The price isn't extra-ordinary for a full-frame camera and 24-105 is a very useful lens, it is easily my most used zoom and would meet the complete needs of many. There will, thankfully, always be first adopters. Without them no new products would ever come to market. I see no point in deploring them.

12. Chester AP

I'm not deploring them, just suggesting that any less than flattering comments in AP won't put them off. Perhaps I wish they would buy something that I would like to find secondhand in 3 or 4 years time, instead of the latest mirrorless marvel.

13. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Thanks for explaining the Mrs Trellis reference. The letter was obviously tongue in cheek but I didn't understand where the name came from, not being a SIHAC listener.

As for Skye Meaker's lens, some people are indeed fortunate enough to get lucky breaks in their careers, either though coming from affluent families or being in the right place at the right time. But their world's are no less 'real' than anyone else's. To be fair to him he has shown an enormous amount of dedication and passion for his craft, without which he will never make it in photography no matter how many free lenses he is given.

14. Andrew Flannigan

I wouldn't have awarded a prize for that particular shot. Everyone's taste is different so perhaps "most liked wildlife photo of the year as chosen by [list of names]" would be a better title for the competition.

15. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

What else is any photo competition, ever?

Cheers,

R.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Taylor Wessing is possibly "least likeable portrait photo of the year" - or am I being uncharacteristically cynical?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. Chester AP

The letters from 'Mrs Trellis' usually begin with 'Dear ......' and refer to somebody on another programme, or a previous chairman. Was there anything like this on the letter to AP that may have raised suspicions? All pretty harmless anyway, but some bits of reasonable argument were buried in it.

The irony of Skye Meaker's dedication is that, when offered a free car so that he could drive himself to his favourite location, he chose a lens instead and presumably still has somebody else to take him on that long journey. I hope he appreciates how fortunate he is.

Nigel_Atherton likes this.