1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP issue 5.1.2019 buy s/hand

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by chris hallows, Jan 7, 2019.

1. chris hallows

chris hallows Active Member

I like this article very much,has it happens that just what I have done myself just before Christmas. I managed to buy a nice Olympus camera body for a good price ( EM5/2) and then buy 2 lenses to match. One lens was off a seller on e-bay,the camera body and the other lens off a well known seller who advertises in the magazine.
    I am a very happy bunny now, back into proper photography, I have not had a interchangeable lens camera since my Pentax MX bought in the 70’s.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Since there is so much good condition used stuff available with a decent guarantee, the real question is 'why buy new?'

My first two DSLR bodies were purchased new, but recently discontinued and being sold off by the trade during the post-Christmas 'dead' season. My first DSLR replaced an MX too, but I stayed with the brand so that I could use some lenses I already owned. When I got the second (16 megapixel) one nearly 6 years ago, the number of 2-3 year old DSLR bodies on the secondhand market with the specification I wanted was less than today. If buying today, I'd not even consider buying new because so many mint condition 2-3 year old DSLR bodies are available. The same comment also applies to interchangeable mirrorless bodies like your Olympus.

Don't forget to encourage the wealthy people who have been trained to believe they must 'upgrade' every year or two: without them the supply of nice stuff for the secondhand market would be much reduced.

And since you've got an interchangeable lens camera, the same advice applies to lenses. I haven't purchased a new lens for nearly 20 years... but I've found some great used ones from AP advertisers.

Once you've mastered your new camera, why not put some pictures on the Gallery pages?
    If you resize them to 800-1000 pixels on the longer side before you upload them the files won't be very big.

chris hallows and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The obvious reply is “if no one bought new there wouldn’t be any used cameras either”. Most DSLRs that meet my requirements are way beyond my budget new but used I can eventually find one or two I can afford. I would buy new if I were able to do so, but then I would keep it/them for a long time, my most recent film cameras were bought new in 1996 and 1997, I still have them, well you never know when film will make a comeback.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I suppose that if I won the lottery I might be tempted by a nice new Pentax K1, but the ridiculous price of the Pentax-branded Tamron 15-30 would still annoy me (50% more expensive that the same lens with the Tamron name on in Nikon or Canon mounts). I'd probably still buy secondhand and spend the money travelling instead.

I don't believe that film will make a comeback, because it never went away (just some of your favourite film types, perhaps). What you probably mean is you might try using it again, which is great if you have a darkroom.

The film camera I replaced with a DSLR in 2007 was a Pentax MX that I had purchased in 1980, and that was only the second film SLR I had owned (it replaced an East German SLR that was about twice the size). I kept the MX until I got my second DSLR about six years ago, and then finally accepted the fact that I wasn't going return to film because Kodachrome was now long dead, and I live in a very small cottage with no possibility of having a darkroom for monochrome work. The MX body and a Tamron 28-200 were exchanged for a secondhand 'first-generation autofocus' Tokina 80-400 that I still have and use.

5. chris hallows

chris hallows Active Member

Hi there Chester,would you believe before the Pentax MX I had a Zenith E, so tough you could knock nails in with it but a good learning experience.