1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP, Give more thought to film photographers

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by filmlover, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Anyway, what I would like to see is a list of which films are currently available, in what formats, and for the more obscure brands, where they can be bought. I used to be completely on top of this, but I'm certainly not now. The same thing for developers and processing kits for colour, and printing papers. Better still, samples of the look of each film (with a standard developer) to help people choose, and for developers, samples of what several reference films look like - for example, I always loved the look of HP5 souped in Rodinal - it gave a lovely grain pattern and superb tonality, whereas other combinations of developers with the same film seemed lacking in character to me. Being able to see a sample of what each combo looks like might be the spur to have a go. Likewise, being able to see what current slide films can do might be interesting - I used Velvia for years because it was lovely and sharp, and had colours that I personally found more realistic than the muted tones of other films - I know that puts me in a minority of pretty much one, but I've always considered the world to be a pretty vibrant place. However, I also enjoyed the pastel reproductions of some other films, so knowing what the current options are would be great, and again might encourage me to put some film through some of my old cameras.

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Did you try Microphen?

However, I still prefer Tri-X in ID-11 (or virtually anything but Rodinal). If you really want football grain & high contrast, rate it at ISO 1250 and double the indicated developing time.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No.

I never liked either - I preferred HP5 any day of the week, and ID-11 was just too dull. Another favourite for years was Pan F in Acutol - at a very different end of the speed/grain continuum. In the end, I found SFX in Rodinal, generally with a red filter, gave me the results I liked best.

Ah, for that I used to use 35mm Delta 3200 in T-Max dev, which was another combination I loved. Delta 400 in the same dev was lovely, too.

4. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

If you look on the Ag Photographic site, they have have a good range of film types, including newly re-introduced films under the Agfa and Rollei label. Prices appear to be below those of Fuji & Kodak.

I believe one maker has even re-inroduced b&w film in the old 127 format.

5. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

That's the beauty of wet process film as opposed to digital - you can vary the characteristics of the "sensor" to suit your tastes. As with digital, the final result is a combination of capture & post-processing. Personally I found that the combination of a "flat"/"thin" negative and a hard paper worked better than a contrasty negative, which tended to have too much grain for my taste and was prone to burning out the highlights and/or losing detail in the shadows, though just about any B+W emulsion has far more useful dynamic range than any sensor which has yet to find its way into the consumer market. A contrasty negative also requires more skill in "dodging" to print adequately ... some people prefer to work that way & very successful they can be, too.

6. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. I shoot digital mainly but have been trying more and more film recently. It has a look that is impossible (for me) to recreate with a digital image. I've tried a few colour and b/w films and am beginning to understand how they work and which ones I like (neopan presto 400 for b/w, natura 1600 for colour). I'd love a definitive list of what's still being made and where I can get it. In Japan, though, it's mainly fujifilm with a bit of kodak and ilford. The fuji films are a lot cheaper than the imported stuff obviously.

7. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Thanks for drawing attention to that site. They have neopan super presto 1600. I've been looking of that for a while. The Japanese Fujifilm website doesn't even list it so I assumed they'd stopped making it. You guys in the UK might want to grab a few rolls before it's gone forever :(

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fair comment, makes a lot of sense.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thanks. I've still some 127 stock of both B%W and reversa (Maco, about 10 years old, in the freezer) but I will get some more to feed my occasional Baby Rolleiflex habit.