1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP, Give more thought to film photographers

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by filmlover, Oct 17, 2011.

1. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

From what I read on this forum, and also my own conversations with dealers etc., there seems to be a definite re-surgance in film photography; interestingly, particularly from younger photographers starting out.

Would it therefore, be a good time for AP to start putting aside a few pages dedicated to film photography each week?
    For instance, I've noticed, again on this forum, younger photographers asking about processing your own films. In these days of austerity this is an excellent way of not only saving money, but also gaining more satisfaction out of your hobby. So AP, why not run a series on how to process different types of black & white and colour neg films, compare various developer types etc.??

I think a regular diversion into film photography would improve the magazine and add variety, making it stand out from those mags., which all too often seem to be based around a "buy a new digi a month" concept.

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Weekly would be too much... Monthly perhaps?

That way it would be similar to the other series they do, e.g., How to process RAW

3. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I think if one were to reflect the reality of the market* then even once a month would be OTT in that regard. Like it or not, believe it or not, film use has become a minority activity, alas.

* Whether that's measured through kit sales, chemicals, papers, processing, printing, inks, film sales, memory cards, etc.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Film cameras, of course, are already featured frequently - I've not yet seen a digital camera appear in Ivor Matanle's series. An occasional "film special" might be a great idea, covering the sort of topics mentioned, though.

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

nimbus will not agree with this sentiment but I do. Film is not dead yet. It has its uses as does digital. Long may both continue sensibly together. :)

Film is fun. (Digital can be hard work.) People should be allowed - even encouraged - to experience the fun of film photography and the pleasure of the craft. :D

6. 0lybacker

Yeah, but that's for the kit lovers among the old codgers! ;) :D {OK, me too as a not quite yet old codger!! Am saving for the subscription, though.}

I have noted and like the fact that a regular APOY placeman uses film in a Praktica LTL.

But film itself, use, processing, printing, and the subsequent results, etc. have faded from view somewhat. Time for a comeback, Mr Editor.

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

The current editorial attitude is probably in line with camera sales but AP shouldn't be afraid to be a trend setter rather than a market follower. Film can be fun.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say I find digital fun and film hard work.

9. 0lybacker

Ah, but ... is AP for PHOTOGRAPHERS, 'photographers', photographers or merely for consumers? You are right in relation to overall sales and how many take photographs on on annual basis. I would suggest it is rather different for PHOTOGRAPHERS and, perhaps, even 'photographers'- those that make photographs on a daily or weekly basis. And AP is weekly, after all ... ;):)

10. 0lybacker

Perhaps I should have inserted ' ... seems like ...' ? :eek: :eek:

11. filmlover

You make a very valid point. For my liking AP appears to be leaning more towards the consumer/software enthusiast, away from those of us primarily interested in actual pictures. (a trend I felt when I last attended the "Focus" exhibition a few years back).

Film is ceratinly not dead, despite many here who would wish it so. A few pages in AP dedicated to those who made the magazine popular in the first place....film photographers....would help to redress the current imbalance.

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That is a silly statement. I'm sure that if digital (or some other format/method) was available at the time when AP was first being published it would have been that that made the magazine popular in the first place.

I bet plate photography had a following in the magazine as well, perhaps I ought to ask the Editor for a regular feature on that as I might be using plates at college :)

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

No real difference using plates to using flat film in dark slide holders ... except that plates are easier to break and, more importantly, much more stable dimensionally.

The point is that, to do photography well, you need to understand the basic principles, and chemical processes are easier to understand at a basic level - what goes on in electronic gadgets is largely hidden from the user.

Perhaps it would be as well to run an article on the wet colloidon process - if the denigraters of film have their way, this may be the last refuge of the chemical image makers. The materials involved in the Daguerrotype process are unfortunately far too toxic to be permitted these days.

14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  15. filmlover

I'm afraid Fen, you sound like so many others, who pick up a digi camera, think you know it all, whilst denigrating those with many years of experience, who do not need all the trappings of new technology to create excellent pictures.

16. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I'll refrain from stating what you sound like for the sake of forum harmony... Suffice it to say you need to know a bit more of the membership and their individual histories before launching ignorant brickbats.

Oh, and acquiring even a grain of humour wouldn't go amiss.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I don't think there are many who wish it dead. There are those who don't like using it and have gone totally digital. And I think you'll find even amongst those some who love film photography but aren't in a position to be able to "go back" because they've never been there.
    Don't judge others by your own standards....

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

There are people in the USA doing Daguerrotypes... and offering classes... but what their life expectancy is, I dread to think! And I'd love to have a go at wet collodion.

However, and I speak as a film user, frankly I think AP reflects the world out there. On an ordinary day I'd say 99%+ of the cameras I see are digital, and that's only counting the ones that look like cameras. The only reason it was different today is that I went to our local Oxfam's camera sale, which is mostly film cameras. If you don't like it, hie ye away to Rangefinder Forum and have join the people Jodrelling over their bokeh.

The odd article would be nice (though we do get Ivor Matanle, plus the chap behind the back cover who collects the same old carp as me), but frankly it's a niche.

I do have an issue with Fen's post, though... GET THE APOSTROPHE IN THERE!

Adrian
    (PC69, Apostrophe Police)

19. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Simple if it is part of the market then AP should cover it once in a while.

AP covers CSC and high/low end compacts. Not everyone's cup of tea but part of the market.

I was proven wrong and you can still buy new a film SLR.

Also students I believe have to use film as part of their course therefore it might be of interest to them to know what film cameras etc are still out there.

We welcome film users on here the magazine should make sure it keeps them in the loop so to speak.

So the odd article might be nice for new photographers out there and long time film shooters. :)

20. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

You forgot the apostrophe '