1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP 9th Feb 2019 - Nice one Roger

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PeteRob, Feb 4, 2019.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever felt such a sense of disbelief and incredulity at the reading of so few words. Respect!

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

He got the date wrong, it was intended for the first of April?

It made me look at the image more than once:confused:

3. PeteRob

Indeed it would have been a good one for April 1st. The chosen names are lovely and utterly impossible.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Thank'ee kindly.

Cheers,

R.

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

No, April 1st would have been completely wrong. The article is very serious. I was trying to make -- and I think, made -- the point that you'll get completely different reactions and analyses from (say) a mediocre camera club judge, an art teacher, an historian, someone being playful, someone who Didn't Know Much About Art but just fancied the model...

If they'd run it for All Fools' Day, too many people would have dismissed it as just a joke. It wasn't, and isn't. It was designed (as most of my columns are) to encourage people to think about how they react to a picture, and why; and to point out that there is seldom just one way of "reading" a picture.

Cheers,

R.

6. PeteRob

Just to support that, the picture got quite a lot of comment, from several different viewpoints, when it was posted in Appraisals some months ago.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that several people are being premature. Many buyers of the mag who visit this website will not yet have bought or received their copy. Far from encouraging the purchase of the mag in order to see what is being discussed you have just blown the story.I would think that a more enticing approach was this
    Still what do I know. I am just an ignorant brexit pleb.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

9. Roger Hicks

10. Roger Hicks

Dear John,

Para 1: How is the story "blown"?

Para 2: Well, if you choose to describe yourself that way.... No doubt thousands will spring to your defence.

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  11. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Or not.

12. PeteRob

As a subscriber, I generally don't post about magazine content until Tuesday when it hits the shops and this was Monday night so my fault, but no-one could understand the post without reading the article so is is hardly a "spoiler".

RogerMac likes this.
  13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am a subscriber but my Copy did not arrive till Tuesday morning. Rather than spoiling it for me the early mention made me look it up and see what it was all about, personally I thought it enhanced my enjoyment.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

And I'm going to have to go out and buy a copy now!

Learning and RogerMac like this.
  15. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Or perhaps it makes them consider what good value a subscription might be?
    I cannot see how revealing more about the subject of an article can put anybody off (the link to the Appraisal page will then supply some technical details that were missing from the magazine article).

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. Learning

A subscription is certainly good value, and perhaps something that helps pay for this free website.

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Found a copy of AP today, and finally read this - I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's a game SWMBO and I often play in galleries where we're not sure what's going on. Dunno what the local product is chez Roger, but I'd have a glass.

If I'm a bit more financially secure after March (when the fun stuff happens with salaries etc) I may well take out a sub - assuming my employers stay in the UK after B****t of course... Been meaning for years but things like mortgages, redundancies and pay cuts have got in the way.

Adrian

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Incidentally, Roger, I'd be happy for you to talk bollocks* about any of my photos, but I fear that that's all that is worth talking about them.

Adrian

* I use the word loosely, and not in a derogatory sense, as someone reasonably fluent in bollocks myself.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  19. Learning

Without a stack of past mags how can you tell if Roger has not done this before, but without the denouement?

20. Roger Hicks

Basic knowledge of photography and criticism probably helps.