1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP 5th Jan 2019

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I cannot see any credit given to the author of the Legends of photography article about Gordon Parks. This is in the place usually occupied by Final Analysis.
    Is Roger Hicks the author of Legends?

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear John,

It's complicated. In future I shall be alternating Legends and Final Analysis in my last-page article, but this particular Legends had already been written (very well) in house, and they didn't want to waste it.

Cheers,

R.

steveandthedogs and Learning like this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I was wondering where Final Analysis had got to myself. Whilst it's not unreasonable for the AP Overlords to give Roger a well-earned festive break, I'd have been very miffed indeed if he'd been left out on the doorstep with the empty milk bottles!

Roger - I'm very pleased to see that you'll be continuing your residency inside the last page of AP!

Cheers, Jeff

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am delighted Roger, that you are keeping the last page article. The alternating emphasis between a picture and a person will add to variety while still making use of your extensive knowledge.
    I did not think that the writing style of the latest article was yours, but Parkes, with his involvement with FSA and social concerns was a subject that you might well have chosen.
    As you have said the article was well written in house. I think that the auther deserved mention. This happens for most articles in the mag.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear John,

Thanks for the kind words. I agree with the highlight, and the only reasons I can imagine why ALL articles are not ALWAYS credited are first, that it might expose just how tiny the AP team is nowadays, compared with even 20 years ago, and second, that anyone's writing is inevitably uneven and that they don't want to blame people for the weaker stuff -- though equally, that means that their good stuff isn't credited either. Perhaps everyone should be given the option of leaving their name off the stuff they don't think is all that good -- though that might cause as many problems as it solves.

Cheers,

R.

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm so used to Roger's article being at the back of AP that I'd read half of it before I thought 'where are the rhetorical questions?' Well written, but not likely to be confused with Roger's style.

I look forward to the regular 'Legends' articles, but it's a pity that they will only get one page in the magazine.

7. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I believe this particular Legends was written by our former Features Editor Tracey Calder. This feature used to appear randomly elsewhere in the magazine but we moved it to the back page to give it a regular home and to free up some pages for additional features (or longer features). Some of these extra features may well be longer pieces on famous photographers of the past, especially where there is a major exhibition or new book to tie in with.