1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use olive oil?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveS, May 17, 2019.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've never caught on to the fuss surrounding the various types of exotic olive oil, and I normally use sunflower oil - is that OK?

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I don't use "exotic" olive oil - I use the supermarket's own brand oil - which comes from Tunisia. Oil from locally grown olives falls into the "exotic" category, though, especially with regard to price.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't think vacuum harvesting is ubiquitous. The way The Times covered the story suggested it is a fairly novel technique that is likely to be banned. The main causal factor was timing - it is done at night when the birds are roosting. Mechanical harvesting of any crop has to have some consequence for wild-life. This one reads as appalling a case as can be imagined but who knows the actuality.

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Alwaqys thought that OLive Oil was Popeyes mate.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yes she is, but it is also something you get from the chemist to soften your earwax.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My wife will only buy and use cold-pressed organic olive oil, preferably Spanish.
    These are, of course, usually some of the most expensive ones.

I note that the website page on the link tried to load over twenty 'research' or data collection cookies onto my PC, which is even more than the AP website. All were blocked, of course.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Never used it myself because logically it tastes of olives and I hate them! Weird thing is like olive oil spreads for sandwiches. For cooking and toast it has to be butter through

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

How do you know what Dorset Mike gets from the chemist? :)

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Olives can be bitter and sometimes unpleasant to eat, but the oil when carefully extracted is not.
    The problem with many processed oils is that the nature of the fats and oils in them changes when heated, leaving some difficult to digest.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Once, as a social event to a conference in Spain, we had a lecture on and tasting of the local olive oils, about a dozen all told, in wine glasses. Personally I'd have preferred a wine tasting session but I took away that there is not one single "olive oil".