1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know of a reliable & reasonable host for heavy bandwidth usage?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by PaulatUKcamera, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I am getting some stick at work. They blame my photographs for increasing the bandwidth bills threefold!

When I started 18 months ago, the extra bandwidth bill was about £125 a month, its now over £450 and climbing!

We (a cottage rental company) are a picture intensive user of bandwidth. I have cut down on the search results a bit, but each cottage has loads of illustrations and this only put a temporary downwards "blip" in the demand. Now I am in the process of photographing every attraction and town (it seems like that) in West Wales, the picture growth continues unabated.

I thought the best thing to do was to leave the web sites (we have 16) where they are and "outsource" the pictures - perhaps in the US where bandwidth is cheaper.

We don't want to go own our own server route, because frankly, we don't have the in-house knowledge to maintain it (OK, OK, I don't have the knowledge!) Perhaps later.

Any thoughts? Anybody using US sellers?

Paul

2. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Re: Anyone know of a reliable & reasonable host for heavy bandwidth us

I've just opened an account with Burton Hosting (co.uk) who I gather are using American-based servers. It says 'unmetered data transfer', we'll have to see if that's really the case!

3. Re: Anyone know of a reliable & reasonable host for heavy bandwidth us

Thanks for that Ian - am now following it up.

A dedicated server for those prices seems remarkably good.

Paul

4. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I found them via this site where I filled in a form with my requirements and got quite a lot of responses from both UK and America. Some of the American ones were a fair bit cheaper, but the one I chose has a UK office.

Mention my name to Matthew at Burton if you use them, you might just get a discount ;-)

5. Re: Anyone know of a reliable & reasonable host for heavy bandwidth us

After I wrote that, I suddenly had a cunning idea .....

I rang up my supplier (for UKcamera.com) and told him about the great deal this Burton one was and that it was a pity he couldn't match those sort of figures, because it could get him a lot more business in future if my employer was impressed and came over to him with 16 web sites!

He is phoning me back at 5pm!

One can only ask! nudge, nudge, ;);)

Thanks for giving me a good bargaining counter

Paul

6. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

He'll probably pull your plug at 17:01 ... ;)

7. Re: Anyone know of a reliable & reasonable host for heavy bandwidth us

I think my employers owe you a drink Ian.

My local company has come back with a quote for £45 - somewhat of a reduction on the £450pm we are currently paying!

Paul

8. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Good result - now stick 'em for a rebate! [​IMG]

I'll be in The Lion in Tudweiliog on 8th,9th,10th,11th,12th and Friday 13th July ( [​IMG] ) - maybe your employers could leave me one in the pump ... [​IMG]

9. Re: Anyone know of a reliable & reasonable host for heavy bandwidth us

er that's bout as far from here as you can get in a day's drive. I think I could meet you in Surrey quicker!

No chance of you switching your holiday to West Wales?

Paul

10. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

I've been known to travel as far South as Dolgellau.

For a bonus pint, why not phone up your broadband provider and say your connection has been a little shaky recently, and you can't help but notice other companies seem to offer cheaper deals.

Pipex cut my bill by a third, and upped my connection speed by a factor of 6 ... :)