1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had any dealings with Panamoz ?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Skyehammer, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

Hi Guys and Guyesses ,

I was scouring the internet for Nikon lenses when I came across this site called Panamoz , and their prices would make Amazon blush e.g. a Nikon 12-24mmf4 g ed if dx is £1073.27 on Amazon , but on Panamoz it's £653.00 , same goes for other lenses , cameras etc .
    It has a contact number which is a British dialling code , but no British address that I can find .
    I've found another forum asking this very same question and just one person had taken the plunge. He experienced a problem , but apparently Panamoz sorted it out to his satisfaction , didn't have to pay customs duties etc .
    I'm pretty certain that this firm is based in Hong Kong , but I'm not completely sure , so.....

Has anyone had any dealings with Panamoz and were they happy with the service ?

They seem almost too good to be true and I'm getting a whiff of rodent , hmmm , what do you think ?

2. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Our Hong Kong Headquarter Office Address:

Panamoz Electronics
    35/F Central Plaza, 18 Harbour Road,
    Wanchai
    Hong Kong

Our UK Office Address:

Panamoz Electronics
    3rd Floor, Queensbury House, 106 Queens Road,
    Brighton, BN1 3XF
    United Kingdom
    Found above info by "doing a google"

3. Skyehammer

When I first glanced at the opening lines of your reply , I thought you were the Managing Director of Panamoz , as you used the term ' our address ' ![​IMG]

Thanks , Kenny

4. mediaman

Oops..... just over-eager to try and help a fellow forum member :D
    Hence a straight forward "cut-n-paste"

5. Skyehammer

Ah well , I've been looking around a bit more for feedback on Panamoz , there are more positive comments than negative .

It is a firm dealing in ' grey imports ' , but if the ' grey import ' is a genuine Nikon and you don't have to pay any import duties , what's not to like ?

Can someone please buy something from them and come back to me ?[​IMG]

6. mediaman

Well I am wanting to buy a 2nd D800 body.... will gladly let you know how I get on re purchase etc.
    But that would only happen if you give me the £1,575:00 needed :D

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

No VAT or import duty paid, no warranty with the manufacturer in the UK (you tend to have to send it off to a warranty provider), not covered by the UK sales of goods act or distance selling regulations (as they are imports), they use paypal for payments - so you're not covered by section 75 of the consumer credit act.

Apart from all that they are fine.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

How many times have we been here before?

9. Skyehammer

Sorry , Nimbus , the only excuse I can give is that I'm relatively new to photography ,relatively new to the Forum , I didn't know where to post this , and I did stick their name in the advanced search bit , and there was nothing there about them , I've never come across a site like them before , so I had to ask the question .

10. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Don't worry, there are a number of websites with dubious no VAT and duty claims. from the evidence of the internet most people who use the sites are happy with the savings.

I personally would prefer to deal with a proper shop / site covered by uk legislation.

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Peter,

I think what Nimbus is referring to is the number of times that sellers like Panamoz have been queried. Try doing a search for Procamerashop for something similar.

12. Skyehammer

Hi Bob , thanks for the message , yeah I knew what he meant and I did give a polite reply that I had stuck ' Panamoz ' in AP's ' Advanced Search ' engine and that nothing had come up on them .
    I honestly haven't come across a site like ' Procamerashop ' or the one in question before and was just curious as to know if anyone had had any dealings with them .
    I understand the risk involved now and would never use these sort of companies in reality , when I bought my D7000 I insisted on going to a physical shop like Jessops rather than buy online I was that nervous of getting a dud .

I'm just a naive old guy living on a naive old Island !![​IMG]

13. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

Hi Peter

Try doing a search for "panamoz complaints" and another photography forum will come up ( I won't post the link as I guess that will annoy AP) that has quite an involved thread on that company - when researching a company I normally search and use complaining / complaint type terms just to see what gets flagged up

Good luck either way and should you buy update this thread so we can hopefully hear your positive outcome

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Pull the other one!

I seem to remember that cameras don't attract import duties anyway, but lenses do (unless the system has changed in the last 5 years or so.)

Buying from Hong Kong has been OK for me, on at least one occasion (hubby's Canon 7D), when it cost 50% more in the UK than from Hong Kong. I could track it the whole way - well, to mainland UK anyway (as usual), but it made the last bit safely via carrier. ;)

I've yet to meet a naive (or non-savvy buyer) on the Islands! We've got to be or we just end up getting fleeced here! :)

Kate

15. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

same here kate and since buying my 7D also have purchased lenses & filters

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I wasn't really having a go at you, it is a regularly posed question about various sellers who offer goods at substantially below those available from sellers who supply stock sourced from the UK. Some are better than others, a few are outright con merchants. Buyers generally seem happy with some suppliers, e.g. Digital Rev or Flash Camera/Kerso and quite angry with others. Mind it is fair to say that some UK outfits with physical shops are not blameless in terms of customer service.

17. Skyehammer

Cheers , Nimbus , I must have been in ' sensitive mode 'earlier on due to my being a newcomer to the AP Forum , no offence was taken .

Kate , I do find that we are a bit more trusting up here of folk , I still don't lock our doors at night , despite a spate of thievery in the area recently .

However , I have started to lock the car at night after nearly 26 years here , when a local lady had her car stolen recently and the insurance company brought up that the car wasn't locked and made the insurance invalid excuse , though of course the thief could have easily panned the window in just as easily and made off with her car .

I've only been to Harris and Lewis twice although one of the visits was just a drunken occasion in Lochmaddy , the other was a week's tour with a free Hopscotch Ticket courtesy of Cal Mac as I worked for them for 7 years .
    I got involved with the friendly locals of Tarbert where I showed them my capacity for drink and my skills at the Pool Table , Happy Days !!

Don't suppose either have changed much , apart from even more ' White Settlers ' moving in !! [​IMG] [ haven't heard that term being used for a few years , along with Bonglies etc ' ] .

Cheers ,
    Peter .

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I feel distinctly unsafe with locked doors!
    Too many white settlers to mention now. I think we were the last brave ones in January 1988. Post 2000, I think every English Local Authority knows our Local Council number!
    Next time you venture over, give me a shout. :)
    Kate

19. Skyehammer

It would be my pleasure , thank you very much .

I saw ' Highland Wilderness ' by Colin Prior and Magnus Linklater going cheap the other day , it arrived yesterday and some of the photos of the Harris and Lewis beaches just reminded me what a paradise you live in .
    Skye is up there with the most beautiful places on Earth , but the beaches are few and far between , Talisker and Torrin being the exceptions , yours put them to shame , they're on par with the Caribbean , when Global Warming arrives , so will the multi millionaires !

Feasgar mhath .

Peter .

20. Skyehammer

Oh , forgot to say that we also arrived in October 1988 .

There have been a few changes , mostly , houses going up everywhere and more cars , you hardly saw a car moving during the day where we are , it's different now .
    I'm an incomer myself , so I can't really complain , but 25 years ago I knew everybody in our community , now I would say I know two thirds of them , which isn't bad I suppose , but it's still not the same , I miss the old days .

And the same goes for you , Kate , if you're ever on Skye , it would be a pleasure to meet you , just let me know .
    We're in the South , but I could meet you off the ferry or anywhere , no problem at all .

Cheers ,
    Peter .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.