1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody keep losing their speaker from the system tray with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Lounge Lizard, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

It's annoying and it keeps happening.

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Re: Anybody keep losing their speaker from the system tray with Window

That happened to me a while back and unfortunately I never got to the bottom of what was causing it David. I could restore the icon by going into control panel and then un-ticking and then re-ticking the box to display the speaker icon but it always disappeared the next time I rebooted despite the box being ticked to display it on the toolbar. :mad: I reformatted my computer about two months ago which of course sorted the problem, but failing such a drastic solution how about trying a system restore to a time when it wasn't doing it?

BigWill

3. Lounge Lizard

Yep, you had the same problem. A system restore is a bit drastic for such a trivial annoyance. I think I've found a possible solution by trawling the Web. Will keep you posted.

4. BigWill

If you crack it I'd be interested to hear the solution in case it ever happens again. Cheers!

BigWill :cool:

P.S. When I suggested a "system restore" I was referring to the utility in start menu\all programs\accessories\system tools\system restore rather than a complete reformat and re-install of Windows but I suspect you know I was referring to that anyhow................................but just in case there was any confusion. :cool:

5. Lounge Lizard

Try this.

6. BigWill

Very interesting David although it's a bit worrying that Microsoft don't have an exact answer to a known bug and make several suggestions for trying to resolve the problem! :eek:

I found this part particularly interesting though as I THINK it may have had some bearing on my particular instance of the problem:

"1. Open My Network Places.
    2. Click Hide Icons for Networked uPnP Devices at the Tasks panel."

I vaguely recall "un-ticking" that particular check box at one time when "messing about" with my network. Could it have been that which caused the problem with me? Well hopefully I'll never know because it's not been doing it since my complete windows re-install but it's certainly an intriguing problem! :eek: Hope you get sorted!

BigWill

7. Mick_Johnson

Mick_Johnson Well-Known Member

This utility will do it, or bring it up anyway with a keyboard shortcut or similar.

It's free........