1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Pentax K-5 II users?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Ruskin, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

I'm considering the K-5-II and I'm sure most owners will have heard about the occasional focus issues the camera seems to have, is this really an issue, have there been any firmware updates that have helped?
    I've watched a few reviews on youtube and read quite a lot about this camera and really like it, I don't shot video so not concerned about the basic video options or the lack of autofocus points and considering that a pro photographer is prepared to use the K-5-II with a sigma or tamron lens and leave his pro canon gear home says a lot.

Here's the video if anyone wants to watch it, jump to 2m.50 to skip his fashion tip on hats at the beginning :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;jH3WevFWbzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH3WevFWbzw[/video]

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Ha! He takes a heck of a long time to say it, but he's right about Pentax having some soul. I simply cannot think of giving up the magic way these cameras behave. The two wheel and green button combo, just so intuitive. :D

Why go to a D610, when I can have a K-3? Just doesn't make any sense does it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  3. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I use a K5. The K5II is basically the same but has by all accounts more assured autofocus which performs particularly well in low light. A colleague who does concert and nightclub photography really rates it. It still lags behind its rivals with tracking - that is the big weakness of Pentax. In all other respects then I am very impressed with the K5 and the choice of compact lenses that go with it. A very well thought out camera which is a joy to use - I am very pleased indeed with what the camera is capable of. You might consider a K5IIs without the aa filter as users report very little problems of moire.

I need to design a new website for my images and I'll send a link when I do so you can see some real world results from a K5.

4. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies, I'm still sitting on the fence for which model to go for :rolleyes:
    I would of course like to get hands on with a few Pentax models but living in Cornwall, what camera shops there are don't carry a big stock of models.

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

May I ask if you have any Pentax lenses or bodies at the moment. If you do then it would make sense to stay with Pentax. If you are new to the brand, then it would be helpful to handle one if you can.

Cameras are very much a personal choice and how it feels in the hand and how intuitive it is is important, but I think, all things being equal, you will find a Pentax is very ergonomic.

Good luck.

6. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

I have never owned a Pentax so I am new to the brand, I gave up photography due to ill health and sold the D7000 I had, but things have improved and I'm snapping again with a Fuji f770 but I really miss a polarizing filter.

My photography is now focused on learning the craft and not the tech and I'm now considering a K-50 over a K-5-II as it will do all I want and save some money, my philosophy is now to keep it simple and travel light ;)

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

According to the Pentax Ricoh UK website http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/dealersearch.html, Cornwall Cameras in Truro are one of their "Pro dealers", so should have a good range in stock. Alternatively. if you're heading up country sometime and have an hour or two to spare, I can recommend Devon Camera Centre in Exeter from personal experience - very helpful people.

I hesitate to raise this on the Pentax forum, but if you want to travel light, perhaps a DSLR might not be the ideal choice, and you should at least consider the pros and cons of a Compact System Camera, such as one of the Panasonic G series?

To return to your original question about AF, it used to be the Achiles heel of Pentax. I have a K20D from 2008, and that frequently fails to lock focus, especially in low light. However, I've recently acquired a K3, and the contrast is like night and day (almost literally - the K3 reliably locks focus in light where I find it difficult to see the subject well enough to compose properly!) It might not track moving subjects quite as well as the latest Nikon or Canon, but it certainly seems vastly improved.

The K5ii might not be quite as good as the K3, but it's probably good enough for most things, except perhaps floodlit sports.

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I'll mirror Alex's comments on pentax AF - apologies my expiriance is with the K3 too but I hope this helps :)

I came from the Nikon D300s which has pretty much the industry bench mark for tracking a point once locked on, with its milticam 3500 unit which they have yet to surpass. By tracking, I mean once you have locked on to an object the focus point will stay glued to it no matter where in the AF frame that object moves to. The focus point will 'track' it.

Normal AF - fully auto, single point etc - is absolutely fine but single point tracking tends to wonder off the selected item to things nearby. The tracking is so close to being there, but it is not yet. I get better results using full auto and letting the camera guess what I want to be focused on than I do locking what I want with the tracking point which is a shame but not a disaster. At least full auto works. :) Pentax continuous AF where the focusing runs continuously works fine, it may not have as high a hit rate as other brands, but you will get loads of usable pictures :)

The guy in photouniverse video put it best when he said "Do you go for a camera that isn't as nice to use because it is 5% better at getting pictures of the Tour De France when you'll never shoot the Tour De France?" My old D300s was fine and did an excellent job. But I only used its mighty tracking point properly a couple of times, and really mostly only used it instead of the focus and recompose technique. It made me lazy! :D Really, and being honest with myself, It was a feature I didn't need and rarely, rarely used. With no D400 upgrade on the horizon, and still none today, it was a no brainer to defect to a company that was going to give me what I wanted and what I was going to use :)

I do not regret defecting, don't get me wrong, the nikon was splendid, but the Pentax is just as capable, surpasses my old camera in most areas, and is lovely to use. The only, and I mean only, sticking point is if you already use and rely on pro-grade single point tracking, and rely on it for your shots, Pentax is so close in that regard, but is not quite there... yet :)

I loved the Nikon ergonomics (Canons are rubbish - who puts an on switch on the bottom of the back of the camera ala 5d mk2?) but find I feel pentax compactness even better than my big ol' Nikon and I am finally happy to carry my SLR kit every day again like I used to with my old more compact D40 and D80.

As others have said, have a hands on and see what you like :)

9. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't make my "traveling light" comment very clear, by that I meant just carrying one camera with one good 18-200mm, I don't want to carry a lot of gear around.

Thanks for the link, I was really surprised to find Truro cameras as I was told the shop had shut, unbelievable, but really good to find they are open, I was also amazed that PC World and Curries have such a range of cameras, I have plenty to work with now, thanks again :)

10. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Kind of feel for the pro photographer in the video seems he's used canon because they are the best tool for his job even though he doesn't like them but a least he's honest and refreshing to hear him say it, many wouldn't.

That won't be a problem, It's not something I have used before and I mostly shoot landscape and street so apart from the occasional person trying to run away from me I don't rely it ;)

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Geeez LaWheeeze, I thought I was a bad communicator, I skipped to 2:45 and couldn't get past the 4 minute mark :eek:

Hi Rushkin,

FWIW, Ricoh-Imaging Canada just announced a $200+ price drop on the K5ii and the K5iiS, effective on Canada Day so, if this is a Ricoh-Imaging Japan deal it might/should be heading your way, albeit "who knows when" :confused: but, if it does, it might make the decision making a tad easier, at least, in the dosh department ;).

But, as you can see from above, the folks who have picked up the K-3 seem to have no qualms about it and I have yet to hear any negative comments from any of the folks who have purchased K-3's from me -- BTW, I work in photo retail in Vancouver,BC and shoot Pentax.

As for the K5ii/s vs the K-50, I'm almost stepping into this boat, now. I'm possibly, maybe, kinda wondering about deciding -- see, bad communicating ;) --about moving up from my K-r now that my 06 lens from my Q7 system has gone pear shaped :( The thing I really like about the K-50 (and K-30, K-r) system is the fact that I can use 4 AA batteries as opposed to the utterly stupid 6 AA batteries in the higher up Pentax DSLR's :confused::(:p. The other difference, big or otherwise IMHO, is the K5ii/s has a magnesium body with weather proofing versus the K-50 which the polycarbonate weatherproofed over a steel chassis body and, according to a DePravedReview Comparison, the K-5ii/s has a Prime II processor and the K-50 has a Prime M processor and the K-3 has Prime III processor. Both, the K-5ii/s and K-50 have 11 focussing points where as the K-3 has 27 focussing points -- not the most in the league -- but with 25 cross point focussing points -- The Most of any DSLR out there :).

Also, if you don't want/need a "really" long lens, the kit including the DA18-135WR dropped in price, as well. Also, I should mention that the K-50 bodies and kits had a price drop (at least, in Canada), as well, but not to the degree of the K-5ii/s bodies and kits.

Hope this helps a wee bit and really hope the K-5ii/s price drop hits the UK soon :)

Cheers,

Jack Simpson

12. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  13. AlexMonro

I think that figure of a £200 price drop on the K50 kit might be a little exaggerated (possibly since introduction), but looking at the graphs on CameraPriceBuster, it does look as though there's been a drop of around £50 since last week across several retailers today.

The K5ii hasn't shown a significant price cut since late March - its time will probably come, but I would guess that with concentration on the K50, the K5II will wait for another month or two at least.

Some independent camera shops will price match the big online sellers such as WEX when asked - I know Devon Camera do.

14. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link, camerapricebuster looks like a very useful site :cool:

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Jack
    if you can afford one get the K5-II, but I can recommend the K-50..it's a cracker (but you know that already...) even the k500 rocks

16. AlexMonro

Just whatever you do, don't "Register" with CPB, or you'll be bombarded with spam from here 'til eternity... :)

Earlier on, I happened across my copy of AP from Jan 2013, with the review of the K5ii. The section on autofocus comments favourably on the low light performance (down to -3EV, "darker than moonlight", as good as the EOS 6D and better than Nikon D4, and Tim Coleman adds "not the quickest I've used, but it was reliable... ...under very dark lighting... ...in bright light, AF is snappy." However, he goes on to say that for high speed (burst shooting) he needed to change from focus priority to speed priority, otherwise the camera slows down too much. With continuous AF at 7FPS, it can take up to 3 frames to lock on, which is respectable. Object tracking would be useful, which is commonplace in other systems. So I gather that the K5ii doesn't have tracking.

17. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Rushkin, style …… of sorts ;), and, regarding the price drop, if that's the case, wow :D, although, as Alex mentions it could be from inception or SRP by the manufacturer :eek. Being in retail, on occasion, I will check what other shops are selling an item for and when I price ours, I'll put their retail price as our regular price and then put, what we can sell it for (and still stay in business ;) ) as our sale prices and that (price) can range from $20 to, on occasion, $150 :eek:
    So do some checking around :)

Cheers and thanks again :)

Jack

18. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Dave and, truth be told, my preference is the K-50 if only for AA x 4 :D

Cheers,

Jack