1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any good waterfalls in the uk? if so where?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by markd50, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

For how many years is this thread going to run?
    The answer is

YES.

2. deanz

deanz Well-Known Member

ystradfalls has several falls in same area and all signposted trails.check my images for pic.deanz

3. davyc2411

davyc2411 Member

The main ones round me are high force and Richmond falls. Both lovely falls and very photogenic.

4. deanz

deanz Well-Known Member

5. jemmahazie

jemmahazie In the Stop Bath

[h=1]Sgwd Yr Eira waterfall - Wales is one of the best! [/h]

6. billysiv

billysiv Member

Canon Teign falls in Devon. Aber falls in North Wales. Just do a google search.

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Considering that this thread started in June 2010, I would guess that the OP has been around a fair few of those mentioned.

8. patrington1a

patrington1a Well-Known Member

Ayesgarth falls and hardraw are fantastic at this time

9. GlennT

GlennT Member

The Glencoe area has many waterfalls. A good source of information is the Scottish Canoe Associations, Scottish White Water guidebook, which itself has a lot of pictures of drops... as kayakers call them. The guides give OS grid references as well as more conventional directions.

One really good area to visit which is easy to access is the middle section of the River Etive ( which recently featured in the Bond movie 'Skyfall', with a road running alongside it, which has several drops/water falls of varying heights and complexity. Further down the valley there are some steep and significant tributries, especially in very wet conditions, that flow into the river from the opposite bank to the road. These can be reached by a footbridge and a footpath that leads up their banks.

The Etive is a very popular, and demanding, river for white water kayakers, so you could also get some great shots of kayakers coming off many of these waterfalls, if you were so minded.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

One of my favourites is Thornton force. There are other good waterfalls on the approach and alternative return to Ingleton. It's worth doing a bit of research on an area to 50 miles north and 70 miles south; then book a month's spring break.
    I see that we are now in year 4 of the thread but only 50 posts. Have we flogged it to death?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  11. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

ok yes we have, the more so because hordes of you didn't come to SSSI Beddington Lane (Croydon) where the mighty Wandle surges over a two foot level drop, like I told you three years ago....

in compensation I would treat you to a Newcastle Brown at my derisory local, the Harvest Home.

happy snapping

12. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Years ago I worked for a company based in Wandle Bank SW19. Here the mighty Wandle was tamed by brick walls as it made it's way towards the Savacentre but I can attest to it's majesty and grace where I saw it.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

many years ago I cruised the mighty River Leen in an old bathtub as it wound its way through the old Radford Colliery site.. alas nothing to show for my journey through those dangerous rapids but a pair of soggy jeans when my vessel was turned over by the sheer force of the water (or was it because I was not seated in the dead centre of the said old tin bath......)

14. AlexDenny

AlexDenny Well-Known Member

15. Joshwa_Street

Joshwa_Street New Member

Whats Becky Fall's Like? I Have Been To Lydford Gorge And That Is A Beautiful Site :)

16. deltablue

deltablue Well-Known Member

Aberfoyle and the falls in Callander

17. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Glen nevis vally
    town of fortwilliam in scotlands highlands, tourist info office and ask about trekking into the Glen Nevis vally, about 40 minutes into the walk you have to cross a single wire bridge and minutes after you come to the most splendid waterfalls
    here is me crossing the bridge my own way

[​IMG]

I inserted a photo but it seems its not there!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  18. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

How about Gaping Ghyll in Yorkshire? For a full appreciation special equipment is necessary however.............

There are lots of interesting falls on Skye if you're prepared to do some walking. Wellies can be an advantage here!

Cauldron Snout may not be waterfall in the strict sense of the term but it's still well worth seeing.

Lynn

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Five year old post but a useful resource!

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Rhaeadr Machno Falls, just behind Rhaeadr Conwy Falls, just off the A5 near Betws-y-coed.

Also, the falls under the road at Rhaeadr Ogwen at the head of Llyn Ogwen. There's a cafe close by...

S

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015