1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any good waterfalls in the uk? if so where?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by markd50, Aug 1, 2010.

1. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

The last time I saw the falls of Dochart (great link btw) they were being blown upwards off the rock edge and even in a van the wind movement was too much to get a shot, or even, stand up.

The same at Kilt Rock on Skye, I did get a rainbow but I had to tie myself off on the handrail - an old biddy getting off the coach in the car park was blown over and slid along the mud.

I get interesting holidays, maybe I should stay down south?

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm? ;)

3. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

thanks bawbee may i assume some sympathy in that comment? We've all been there, the hols from hell. We went to Tunisia, in the dessert, years ago and it stair rodded for three hours - first time in forty years; locals looked at me a bit askance as I had predicted it...... desert in bloom though, nothing is wasted.....

4. MoreOrLess

MoreOrLess Active Member

The best area of the UK for waterfalls I'v found is the far north west highlanders of Scotland around Ullapool. Drive north towards Cape Wrath from there and you'll literally pass dozens including the highest in the UK.

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

South Wales near Neath/Brecon Beacons - Google Waterfalls Walks Wales

6. Tim Coleman

Tim Coleman AP Deputy Technical Editor

I am not aware of any in Surrey area, or indeed the south east of England at all really.

I have just been to Pistyll Rhaeder http://www.pistyllrhaeadr.co.uk/ and it is an amazing place. There are in fact numerous waterfalls in this area of the Berwyn Mountains and also picturesque streams. PR is one pretty much the biggest in that area and only a short (but steep) walk to the top.

Best thing about the area is that so much of it is off the beaten track. You can go for a walk for hours and hours and not see a single person. Taking pictures and you should have anyone in the way of your shot

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Well-Known Member

I can recommend Lydford Gorge, and Becky Falls, Manaton - on opposite sides of Dartmoor. Best seen after a bit of heavy rainfall!

8. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

The Wandle at Beddington Lane (west Croydon) drops over two feet in a couple of yards and is rich in shopping trolleys, coke bottles and drug needles. A stirring sight, makes you proud to be British.

9. laj

laj Well-Known Member

Swallow Falls near Caernarfon in North Wales (Snowdonia). I have got a few photos on Flickr

10. newbonic

newbonic Well-Known Member

I'll second Hardraw Force - we stayed on the campsite behind the Green Dragon Inn (take midge repellent if it's wet :( ). It rained heavily overnight and the spectacular falls were awesome, and the water was brown with peat from the moors above, such that my daughter said it looked like a foaming river of beer!

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

If you are visiting Co Antrim, Gleno waterfall is rather pretty. A popular spot for wedding photographs.

12. Photo Places

Photo Places New Member

I'd second the opinion on the waterfalls in the Brecon Beacons, particularly Scwd yr Eira and the others on the Brecon Beacons Waterfall Walk

The experience of walking behind a curtain of water is pretty fantastic in itself but there's a day's worth of waterfall photography and exploration here if you're keen enough! :)

13. amy190291

amy190291 Member

Becky Falls :)

14. Nova Invicta

Nova Invicta Member

Do a google search (someone has done a map of the waterfalls)there are a number of waterfalls on Dartmoor and the rest of the scenery is worth the trip also and unless its changed that is South West England!

15. Xenol

Xenol Well-Known Member

The Brecon Beacons have some beautiful examples, not particularly large, but coupled with the sweeping mountains it can me very majestic.

16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Abergwyngregyn, near Llanfairfechan, North Wales coast. Steepest river in UK as regards length/fall.

17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just at the moment I am staying a couple of nights at the Aysgarth Falls hotel and they are well woth a visit, in the footsteps of Turner who painted here. I will post an image if you want

Roger

18. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Shin Falls in the Highlands. You'll also get some wildlife shots of the Salmon run at the right time of year.

19. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member