1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any good waterfalls in the uk? if so where?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by markd50, Aug 1, 2010.

1. markd50

markd50 Well-Known Member

as subject says really! are there any decent waterfalls more southern england probably!
    been looking about and really like em!!

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Plenty in the Lake District, Yorkshire and Wales have some good examples too.

3. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

See here

You`ll need to fill the petrol tank before going though ;) :D

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Southern England is way too flat and featureless for waterfalls, see Dave's advice above.

5. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

That's a good reference, Dave.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that if you click on the waterfall name, a new individual page opens in Wikipedia, where if you then click on the Coordinates figures, you get taken to a comprehensive page of mapping applications. Clicking here on the Google Maps entry (choice of different views), takes you to the familiar Google Maps tile, and I could then see how remote Pistyll y Llyn really is!

It's a pity that the Wiki page is so short of info on the Ystradfellte Falls, which I hope to visit one year! Nearest I've been is Maen Llia.

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Great (and also awful) thing about Wiki is tat you can add information. So when you've been to Ystradfellte Falls, you can update the entry :)

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Height isn't everything. The Yorkshire Dales are well endowed with waterfalls. Aysgarth, Ingleton falls(which include Thornton Force and the Kingsdale falls), Janet's Foss near Malham (small), Gordale Scar (near Janet's Foss), the Swaledale waterfalls and let's not forget Hardraw Force in Wensleydale (You need to traverse a pub to access that one). There's really too many to put in one sentence. This is a wonderfully photogenic area based on unique geology.

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Gordale Scar is lovely.

10. Rushfan

Rushfan Well-Known Member

High Force in Teesdale. Big and very powerful. Don't fall in as you're not coming out alive if you do....

11. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

There's Aira Force near Ullswater, or the Dungeon Ghyll near Langdale, the latter having the advantage of being situated near the best pub in England. :D Both can be quite busy though.

12. JJM74

JJM74 Well-Known Member

And the walk up past Low Force is also nice if you've a few hours to spend, and on the other side of Bowlees is Gibsons Cave, rather more intimate and secluded, if significantly smaller.

Was at high Force several weeks back. With morbid curiosity, watched someone trying to swim under it, but he gave up.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

After looking at Aira force, which I've always found problematic for composition, it's worth working your way up Aira Beck and having a look at High Force (Another one!). It's not as high as Aira itself, but wider and, I think, more interesting.
    Dave

14. osaddict

osaddict Well-Known Member

The Wiki page misses off two I have been to, both in the dartmoor region:

Becky Falls

Lydford Gorge

Both heavily recommended :)

15. Nickyj

Nickyj Member

I like Virgina Water, its not so much a waterfall as a "cascade" but I liked it as its a good place to start as I had never taken shots like this before and there are so many other beautiful spots to take advantage of with your camera. Its location is outside London on the A30, not sure if this is how far you wanted to travel but it really is pretty.

16. Briser

Briser Well-Known Member

Obviously not in Southern England but if you ever find your way up to Loch Ness area, head for the village of Cannich which has two falls either side of it Plodda Falls and Dog Falls. Plodda being the most spectacular, especially after a lot of rain!

17. markd50

well im off to the lakes for a week in the morning!! armed with camera and new lens (birthday present) lets see what i find!!

18. markd50

off to aira force tomorrow if its not raining!!

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Well, your week is up. Hopefully you are cut off from the real world by snow. Don't die on the hills but enjoy the valleys. It is miraculous how the trees in 'The Lakes' keep autumn colour midst the winter snow.

20. markd50

i had a fantastic week !! got some great shots! walked lots of hills for the cracking shots !! yeah im in the real world now of work and snow!! nevermind eh!