1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any factory shop floor in the UK

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by stowpirate, Jun 3, 2003.

1. stowpirate

stowpirate Well-Known Member

You could get some superb photographs on the shop floor of any factory in the United Kingdom. With our world wide reputation for a total disregard for Health and Safety Regulations you would not have to wait long for that superb photograph of the poor operative being maimed for life! Unfortunatly most employers will not allow you to take photographs on the shop floor. So I suppose they have got that angle covered. No photographic evidence and you have no case against the employer!

[​IMG]

STOWPIRATE

2. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Well-Known Member

With our world wide reputation for a total disregard for Health and Safety Regulations you would not have to wait long for that superb photograph of the poor operative being maimed for life!

Clearly you have not worked outside of the UK. In some countries Health and Safty is a joke. The UK is a lot better than most.

Steve C Thompson

3. 0

0 Guest

> The UK is a lot better than most.

True, but I think he's comparing it with the Soviet Union, which is, of course, a worker's paradise. :)

Steve

4. stowpirate

I think you missed the point of my original post?

In Western Europe we are a laughing stock as far as health and safety laws are concerned. Then there is our total inability as a nation to apply the rules not just health and safety but anything! I grant you that Asia and the United States are far worse. In the US the responsibility is pushed down to the individual. This is the direction we are slowly going. The other interesting subject on health and safety is the Crown Immunity Laws! Meaning those poor people who have been injured or killed at work with no way of getting justice. Not even a photograph would help you if you worked for the Royal mint.

Vive La Republique...

STOWPIRATE

5. stowpirate

Well we can all dream!

STOWPIRATE

6. Steve Thompson

Having worked on four the continents. Which includes 4 countries within the EU. I can honistly say we are actualy ahead of most only Germany has perhaps a better safty work record. But getting to and from work by car is less safe than the UK. In fact the UK road safty record is better than the whole of the EU.

Oh and before you ask yes I have worked in Asia, South America and North Africa. And Five countries within the EU.

Steve C Thompson

7. 0

0 Guest

And it was only in the UK that you banged your head on a mast? :)

Steve

8. Steve Thompson

To be precise it was bloodly Wales. Dam fog.

Steve C Thompson

9. Steve Thompson

Further to the last post. And this is true.

The Health and Safty Executive Regional Office for the West Midlands is in Birmingham in Maclarian House. Now a well known GSM operator has its main transmision hub there.

Well about 10 years ago some guys were doing an intall of a microwave link. During a rest period one of the team sat on a plexiglass skylight and due to his weight broke said skylight and feel through into the ...........yes you've guessed it the HSE.

It would have realy funny, but they did not get the joke.

Steve C Thompson

10. stowpirate

I take it you worked in a managment position?

STOWPIRATE

11. Steve Thompson

No as a freelance consultant.

Steve C Thompson

12. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

a disgraceful factory!

Well, I'll tell you about the factory i worked in years ago. I was at a leek packing plant and we were stood all day in rotting leek leaves with only one fire exit! If the alarm had gone off there would have been a stampede and the guy at the back would be toast! Later there was the incident of a leek getting stuck inside the trimmer, and one of the employees reached in to remove the offending article only to come out minus one finger!
    And while I was there we would be on a line while the guy in the line in front would pass a bundle of leeks over to us, and sometimes he would have his very sharp knife in his hand, and all we had for protection were blue marigolds!
    So glad i left that place!

[​IMG]

13. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Re: a disgraceful factory!

I know, British health and saftey standards aren't what they should be.

Rob CRIPN

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

14. Steve Thompson

Re: a disgraceful factory!

As I have said before. Look at the safty record for the UK compared to other places such as the PRC and former USSR. Whilst in the Sudan I actualy saw a riger free climb a yet to be fuly completed Comms Mast. Once he got to his working height then he put on a climbing belt not a full harness.

During the roll out of the D2 network in Germany we lost a rigging team. They were working on a platform which had be placed on a smoke stack. The local contracted civil works company had not fuly surveyed the structure. Result the steel work and team fell over 30m.

Steve C Thompson

15. stowpirate

So you have not experienced the reality of working in British factory?

STOWPIRATE

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Enough already!

Stephen, this really isn't an appropriate board for this argument - if you want to continue it, please take it to the Lounge.

Nick BSRIPN

17. stowpirate

What arguement?

What arguement? I was just trying to establish the facts. I have worked in British Factories and have had contact with people who work in Poland, Germany, Holland, China, the Far East and Canada. Photographic evidence of the conditions in some of these factories would be a real eye-opener to the average UK citizen (sorry I mean subject!). The worst as far as applying any of the rules is the UK. We have all of the Legislation in place but not have the will to apply it! In the real world power house meaning China and the Far East there is no safety net. However in contrast to us the majority of the work force is far more professional in the way they behave. Even if the shop floor conditiona are appalling they still do not lower them selves to the yob type culture we have in the UK. This may be due to fear of management who knows? Photographic evidence of the working conditions in the UK and the rest of the world is very useful tool for change. As I said before most employers will not allow cameras into the working enviroment!

STOWPIRATE

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I didn't know whales came with Masts /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

fen.

<iframe width="164" height="164" scrolling="no" src="http://www.fenris.co.uk/who.htm"></iframe>

19. Steve Thompson

Not the water ones that blow great fountains of water. I am on about the sheep sha....... type

Steve

20. mog505

mog505 Member

Im not sure where you are getting your information from?
    I served my apprenticeship at a Paper Mill in Scotland and towards the end of my apprenticeship I was also the Union Safety rep for the Union unlucky enough to be affiliated with our mill.
    While H S is by no means infallable in the UK, when it comes to the machine floor, the rules in place are sound, thorough and rather unusually for government legislation, pretty common sense.
    Its taken for granted that management want results and to hell with safety, but you tend to find that when push comes to shove, they get in as much trouble for doing it wrong, it is in the managers best interests to ensure the areas are safe, and contrary to what has been in the news recently, management can be jailed for a breach of health and safety. They just tend not to be.

Its all good!

AMK