1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anticipatory Care Plan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My local Hospital has brought this to our attention via Facebook.

I must admit my first thought was one of suspicion and many reservations. I thought - here we go again, making us old ones feel guilty for still being around.

Then I thought maybe I will fill one in. I'll think about it anyway. I know I wouldn't have thought twice about it when I was younger - well, dying seems so far away then, it's easy to be blase and just say let me pop my clogs if I get dementia or a serious illness.
    I know I don't want to end my days on a ventilator or being fed by tubes. That much I do know. I also know I want to be here on the Island, not in Inverness or Glasgow.
    So it seems logical to fill it in - the Anticipatory Care Plan, that is.

It just feels a bit like knocking on Heaven's door, but I guess I should be sensible about it!

Have any of you come across this ACP already? I'd love to know how any of you feel about it. Now I haven't got a hubby to talk to about it, I am genuinely interested in what you would do. Fill the form in? Or not?

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Heard of them, never come across one.

I suspect any attempt at NFR by staff would be overthrown if the powers that be got to know it was the patient's decision.

However, I would happy write my own sign if the choice was that or being unable to do anything for myself if resuscitated.

S

3. Catriona

Oh! Cynical but true.
    I agree with your second point.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Is this a bit like a "Power of Attorney" - only valid if signed off when you're stone cold sober, and in this case compos mentis? I'm somewhat surprised that enough of your local population are on Facebook for that method of publicity to be satisfactory.

Catriona likes this.
  5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

It sounds like a welfare power of attorney (as opposed to a finance power of attorney). Never heard of a health board or provider punting it, though.

Having said that, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

No. It's a care plan for when you are in a position to need one. Health. I haven't looked at it, but I suspect it's a case of how and whether you want certain circumstances at the end of your life. I don't think it has anything to do with power of attorney and everything to do with not for resuscitation.

7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

OK - but the purpose of a welfare power of attorney is to recognise that you may be in a condition whereby you cannot personally take decisions which require to be taken about your health and social care, and that you appoint, in advance, someone else whom you authorise to take such decisions for you.

8. Catriona

And what do you base that assumption on?

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There is a problem for us without close family. I have no close family but do have an extended family, and they are very nice people. Put crudely I am worth more to them dead. But as I say they are nice people, and also if I was in their position, such a thought would cross my mind and hopefully I would dismiss it. Also I would not want to hang on like my late mother. She was very unhappy in a demented state, and wished the Good Lord to take her (her words).
    Power of attorney now has more than one version and for both are a tricky Issue.
    Choosing executors for a will is also tricky. A lawer will rip off the family but will at least direct the anger of one's family in one diection other than themselves. Thankfully I will be passed caring when that issue comes to a head.
    I am on the boarderline of inheritance tax. At least I could deprive the bloody government of their cut with a new car and a new camera.
    Edit. I have just remembered that if I buy a new car and camera the government would get their cut in VAT. You can't win can you?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My plan would read "keep alive as long as possible".

11. Learning

but not in a demented state.

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Believe me, there are circumstances where you really would not want that.

S

edit: and not only with dementia. Physical conditions can be at least as bad.

Roger Hicks and Learning like this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a bit of sensible arse-covering - avoiding problems with various next of kin arguing about how you should be treated. They just look up you ACP and go by that.

Zou likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

That may be true for others but I can't imagine any situation in which I'd go quietly.

15. Learning

I'm not really the sort of person to answer such a sensitive post. I sure think that you should not be helped on your way out if you want to stay, but equally if you want to leave then that should be an option. I also hope that you never have cause to change your mind.

PhotoEcosse and steveandthedogs like this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

I agree with that entirely. In my mind the right to life and the right to die by your own hand are equally sacrosanct.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I suppose if you have relatives or a partner who you know would countermand your wishes and should the person formally re-validate their wishes every year? - Eg - People do as time passes, change their views ... Some Nikon/Canon maniacs have been known to go over to the 'dark side'!

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That's not a nice way to refer to Pentax owners! ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Converting over to using a view camera, would be going over to the ''Dark Slide'?

PhotoEcosse and steveandthedogs like this.
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I presume by NFR you mean what I know as DNR - Do Not Resuscitate?
    For that to be binding, it has to be an official document, not a sign of your own choosing. Without the official document any responders are obliged to carry out resuscitation. It also has to be the actual doc, not a photocopy. Having a DNR bracelet alone, for instance, will be ignored by the ambulance or anyone else carrying out the resus.