1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Dave B, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Dave B

Dave B Member

Hello, I'm Dave and I am retired and thoroughly enjoying that status!

I was a Senior R&D technician in an instrumentation company (liquid flow and chemical analysis) where I have to design and built all kinds of test & experimental rigs - really miss not having access to a machine shop these days! Despite that I like to tackle small technical problems, rigs etc., when they crop up.

I am a decidedly amateur photographer and not doing as much as I would like, heart & hip problems now limit my mobility a little, but I do do some work for the local archives and used to do some for the city archaeology dept until the sacked them all. Oh, I did work with high speed cine, 40,000 fps stuff, in a previous job - great fun but not relevant here.

I am happier with "technical" photography, never quite developed the eye for the artistic stuff. But I always carry a small camera, just in case!

Main kit is a Nikon D5100 with 18-55 & 55-200 lenses (usual bundle) but I also have a Sigma 18-250 for roving.

2. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

welcome to AP

this retired status.....whats that:( ...something I think a lot of the workforce will never have the luxury off, this is assuming there is a workforce lol

enjoy the forum and cya around

3. Dave B

Dave B Member

I was one of the lucky ones, southonline! Baby boomer and got made redundant six months before I was going to take retirement at 60 anyway!

I do feel genuinely sorry for the kids these days, luckily I can afford to slip the son of my best (lady) friend a few quid now and again to keep his car on the road so he can keep his job. He is lucky to have one . . .

4. southonline

redundant 6mths before retirement lol....man someone was watching over you

I've been self employed for the last 25 years so have worked all the time - but its the school / collage leaver I feel for ...over qualified and not a chance of job unless they want to work in Starbucks

5. Dave B

Dave B Member

Yup!!

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

7. Dave B

Dave B Member

Thanks P_S

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along Dave, this retirement sounds like my cup of tea, although some would say I'm semi-retired now:)

9. Dave B

Dave B Member

Thanks, Craig, it works for me that's for sure!

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Dave, and welcome to the AP forums!

Another redundant / retired technician here, although I don't really think of myself as retired - just permanently self employed in a never ending series of unpaid jobs which I get to choose! :)

I find the artistic side of photography harder than the technicalities too, but with practice, looking at pictures in books magazines, & the web, and following the Appraisal Gallery, people tell me I'm slowly getting better.

Maybe you'd like to try posting one of your pictures? The suggestions & criticism can seem harsh sometimes, but it's nearly always helpful in the long run.

11. Dave B

Dave B Member

Hi, Alex, well, I am certainly retired from the wage earning 9-5 stuff but . . . when one has the skills and a decent set of tools it always seems a shame not to make use of them. There's always a friend, charity etc. who needs a repair or something made! Still, keeps my backside off the sofa. I will be installing a hi-fi for a friend this weekend, oh, and changing a tap washer . . . Ooops, forgot also changing a front door lock. Seems us tech. types just can't be idle eh?

Not sure about the picture at the moment, most recently have been taken for others and they have the rights of them. Will see what I can do.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  12. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Dave

13. Dave B

Dave B Member

Thanks, Snorri

14. Dave B

Dave B Member

Well, I have found one to post in the Gallery, Alex. I bought "Learning to see creatively" by Bryan Peterson. Found it useful to get me into the habit of looking for the unusual angle again - rather than trying my best to capture the technical reality of a scene. There are a couple that I want to re-take with flash and/or on a non-sunny day (lots of them but a bit cold!)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I had a quick look at your shot of the "CD Rack" in the reader's gallery. You've definitely got the unusual angle there. Not sure if it might be a bit too unusual, it's hard to tell what it is unless you know it. I quite like it, anyway.

You might get more responses to pictures if you also post them in one of the forums - Appraisal Gallery for critique and comments, or Exhibition Lounge for display without critique. Because they've been around for a lot longer than the Reader's Galleries, they tend to get looked at more. You can use the Reader's Gallery for hosting your images for posting on the forums, but owing to a bug in the hosting software (which we've been promised will be fixed Real Soon Now :) ) it can double the filesizes, so Photobucket or Flikr (which can also increase fileses, but only a bit) are recommended. See the "How to post images..." sticky at the top of this forum, and the Appraisal Gallery.

16. Dave B

Dave B Member

Thanks, Alex. Yes, the picture might be better in an exhibition called, "Gloucester, the unusual angle". I remember a book called, "Urban Geometry" once, excellent images and all explained fully in the text.

Hmm, might offer that exhibition idea to the U3A digital-photography group as a subject for the monthly competition. Be different from the usual pictures of the landmarks, holidays, pets, flowers, etc. which is why I have not joined it! Those things are good subjects but do not really advance one's skills a lot IMHO.

17. southonline

got a link can't find it

18. Dave B

Dave B Member

Link to what, sol?

19. southonline

your photo...did you not post one

20. Dave B

Dave B Member

Yup. Such as it is its in the Gallery and then Readers' Gallery -still on the top line at the mo.