1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Multi-cultural Canadian "Hello"...

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by SixbysixJan, Dec 30, 2016.

1. SixbysixJan

SixbysixJan New Member

Good day!

Proper manners to introduce myself (I'm kinda a quiet guy, more "Lurker" than "Poster"). I lived the first 40 (or so) years of my life in South Africa, but have been living in North America (mostly Canada but spent a few years in Texas and Washington State as well) for the past 20 years.

My dad was an amateur photographer for as long as I can remember and I must have inherited his love for Photography. Incidentally, he had a full set of bound volumes (by year) of Amateur Photographer magazine spanning around 1949 - 1958. I think I learned more about the visual art of photography from those old magazines than anywhere else.

The rigours of bringing up a family of kids interrupted my own photographic "career", and by the time things quieted down around the house enough (also including some years spent back at university, re-qualifying myself for a different career) the Digital revolution was in full swing. I spent the past 15 years happily "machinegunning" the world using a succession of Canon equipment... Had a 30D, followed by a 40D and then a 7D and was on the verge of splurging out on the latest rendition of the 5D when Sanity caught up with me and I decided to go back to what really was the happiest and most successful time of my Photographic hobby Life - and spent the money on Medium Format film photography equipment instead. I am now also busy setting up a full Darkroom. No more Digital 'Machinegunning' for the time being (at least until my Pixel Race Exhaustion is over) and just finished developing two rolls of 120 film, first time doing so in what feels like FOREVER.

Thanks!

2. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're really enjoying your hobby ! :)

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Welcome to the AP forums, Ian!

Good to hear of someone setting up a new darkroom. So what are you using the 120 film in?

4. SixbysixJan

SixbysixJan New Member

Thank you for the welcoming greetings all. I do apologize for being late answering back.... Stuff going wrong at work distracting me (some people say that having to work for a Living is something you inherit from your parents - I don't quite agree but it would have been nice to be able to ignore the Boss sometimes!)

I went soul-searching + going back-and-forth on the Age Old Question: Hasselblad or Bronica? In the end Bronica won and I have been building up two somewhat complete Bronica systems - SQ-Ai plus backs, lenses, 2 spare bodies etc PLUS enough ETR-Si stuff to get me going with 6X4.5 as well.

(FWIW, it was NOT Hasselblad pricing that made me go Bronica - it was a totally subjective and personal preference for Bronica. I blame full-page adverts for Bronica gear in magazines like Amateur Photographer back in the 1980s! I also played for a while with the idea of going the Mamiya route. However, like I say, I always wanted Bronica gear...)