1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another graveyard at midnight shot!

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Aug 11, 2018.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Done_rundleCams and Scphoto like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've spent many hours in graveyards doing family history research and I know how the headstones can be all over the place, sometimes dangerously so, however the angle on the leading cross seems a bit extreme for something that big. It may well be so but it looks a bit unnatural to me. Was this lit by a single flash or by moonlight? The fall-off in illumination to the left is quite hard. These two things together make me more want to know how it was done than appreciate the result.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It does have something that appeals, I'm just not quite certain what!

Perhaps a case for mono, the green of the grass somehow removes mystique.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It is clearly an extreme wide angle to get the depth of focus, so leaning and falling backwards inevitable. Well done, but not to my taste.

5. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

As ever, thanks for the feedback guys.

It was taken with a 14mm lens. But the angle of the headstones etc.is not only due to this. If you notice, the headstones at left and right of image are actually leaning away from what you would expect due to the distortion on an UWA lens. The light was with a continuous LED light source, moved around during the 20" exposure.

This is the B&W version.

[​IMG]

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Maybe a little darker and more foreboding, to suit the subject matter?

mmmm.jpg

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to select just the really bright areas on the tombstones to reduce their brightness. Personally, where possible, I don't use flash, in night-shots, as I find some of the more white and reflective areas then have to be messed around with post-processing. Having said that, my experience/skill with flash is pretty minimal anyway!

SC-01-M.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Catriona and Done_rundleCams like this.
  8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Wow, Adrian, what a cool shot :), although I think mono seems more appropriate, for some reason (?),
    and, I like, the other versions, as well :)

Cheers,

Jack

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Monochrome versions work better for me. With the colour version personally I'd prefer the lighting to be warmer...