1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 7dayshop query

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by PentaxManiac, Jun 22, 2007.

1. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

There was a post a few days ago about the cheap offers 7dayshop do on USB pen drives. Here's another as I'm a little confused.

They now advertise one with 4gb for £17. They use the phrase "flash memory". Can I use this as I use my existing 256mb one for Word and Excel, PDFs etc or is this type of pen drive for Flash animations and web pages etc?

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Just a different name for the same thing. You can use them all to store any type of files.

3. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

As Roger says, Flash Memory, Pen Drive, Flash Drive, Memory Stick.

They're all the same thing, just with different names to confuse everybody.

Memory stick can be one of 2 thinks just to make it worse, because it's also used in conjunction with Sony memory CARDS!! :D

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

'Memory Stick' is a proprietary Sony name, although lots of people use the term now. Very few memory modules look like sticks to me! :rolleyes:

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

The memory sticks I'm thinking of are the direct USB ones that you plug into your computer. I think they were called memory sticks when they were first introduced, but I think only Sony use the term officially now.

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Fair comment!

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

There are many meanings for the word 'flash' and one of them is familiar to photographers as a means of artifical illumination. ;)

Don't confuse 'flash' with 'Flash', a trade name formerly owned by Macromedia and now belonging to Adobe. In this context, 'flash' just refers to solid state storage i.e. memory, where the contents are stored without the need for a power supply to retain the data. It goes back several years to when programmers used to put their programmes into memory chips (called EPROMs or Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory) by a process known as 'burning' or 'flashing'. The programme was retained even with the power off so these were used forthe development of, say, boot sequences for a number of chip-controlled devices. So, the phrase 'flash memory' has tended to stick as a generic term for any memory that may be retained without power. Another example of usage of the word is in CompactFlash cards as used by many dSLRs though, here, the 'f' is capitalised as in the now common practice of identifying the start of concatenated words to describe technologies or trade names - BlueTooth is another example.

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Slightly off-topic ... is the plural of "BlueTooth" "Blueteeth" or "BlueTooths" (or something else) ?

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Sprry, dont know. Blue tooshy-pegs? :D

10. Lounge Lizard

Why was it called BlueTooth in the first place? Why not RedEye or GreenEar? :D

11. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

From Consumer Electronics Q&A web page :

12. Lounge Lizard

Thanks for that - I've learnt something there. (but why was Harald called Bluetooth in the first place?)

13. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he was called bluetooth because oral hygine was not high up his priority list.

14. photojunkie

photojunkie Well-Known Member

Lol :D Or he had a nasty habit of chewing pens.