1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Anglesey In December

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Bazarchie, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Probably a question for our local member, but is a visit to Anglesey in mid Dec likely to be a complete waste of time for some landscape photography?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The days are short and the weather can be grey so I think you'd need to know what you want and where to go. Off the main roads it can be slow progress. My knowledge is limited to birding at South Stack, which is just basically a drive straight across the island (followed by getting lost in Holyhead), the beach SW of Newborough (lovely walk to the lighthouse), Beaumaris and a bit around Menaii and Bangor, not very helpful from a landscape perspective. Views of the Snowdonian mountains as you drive back down to Menaii can be spectacular on a fine clear day, especially if they are snow covered.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

Depends largely on the weather. When are you around and for how long? Willing to travel?

Centre of the island is a bit.. not interesting.

Lots of places if you follow the coast roads on the W N and E, south road to Beaumaris not so good, but try the Gazelle and views of Bangor pier and mountains, though past Beaumaris [Biwmaris] [call in at the Old Bull's Head] to Penmon and the lighthouse. Feel free to hit the arse charging for parking by the priory.

Through Aberffraw to the end of the lane to Porth Cwyfan and the church in the sea /views to yr Eifl [the Rivals].

Llanddona and down to the beach or along the lanes to Bwrdd Arthur and around.

For South Stack, come off A55 at ?Jct 3 for Valley/Y Fali, into the village and turn left at the traffic lights, through Trearddur and turn left. Long way around, but avoids Holyhead. As you are up there, head for Rhoscolyn, park by the church then head to the coast for some sea arches [Bwa Du, Bwa Gwyn]

If you want drama, try the mainland, Llanberis and the quarry/ views of Snowdon. Try going through Deiniolen and Dinorwig to the end of the road, you can walk through the quarry from there, fantastic views of the mountains. There should be a fair bit of snow around by then. If [if?!] it is very wet, there are lots of waterfalls. And Pete's Eats.

Avoid Holyhead and Bangor.

Talking of food, Menai Bridge is as good as anywhere these days. Indian sit downs, Chinese take aways [Ho Wahs best], chippy, Italian, Portuguese, vegan, local, the Vic[toria], I think someone counted 29 places recently

S

cliveva likes this.
  4. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Well done guide for Angelsy, but just before you get there and if it’s a bright day , with a high tide, the Cob at Llanfairfechan is special. Turn of the A55, right at the lights, take advantage of the free car park, and take the 1 mile circuit past the boating pond, following the sea wall.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. PeteRob

I'm not sure I'd call it a circuit, more a there and back. It is a birding location but as said, the tide goes way out. Last time we were there we met someone who walked from Bangor and planned to get the bus back, the train would work too. There are 2 hides at the Spinnies, one over a pond and reportedly good for kingfishers, the other facing the Ogwen estuary just under Penrhyn Castle and another at the nature reserve about 1/4 of the way (2km) there from Llanfairfechan. It overlooks a nesting beach for I forget what, plovers maybe. The cafe at the Llanfairfechan carpark closes for the winter. We like it though I don't quite know how it withstands the winds.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. steveandthedogs

You can get round but it involves crossing the A55 and back along the old road to the village.*

On the way to Bangor, call off at Abergwyngregyn about half way between Llan and Bangor. Turn left off the A55 i.e. inland, keep going through the village to where the road does a left turn over a bridge. Park and walk back a little way, then head south along the track to Aber falls. This is the steepest river in the UK from source to mouth, given the drop.

S

* on the way, you'll pass the forensic unit where I used to work.

7. PeteRob

What's the parking like for Aber falls? Must be nearly 30 years since I've been there. I remember it being limited, busy (albeit in summer), and the walk up to the falls themselves not terribly exciting, though we were carrying a toddler.

8. steveandthedogs

There's a "new" car park just over the bridge, though I still park in the old roadside spots when I go. The walk is pleasant, not strenuous, but the falls in winter are worth it. There are also "improvements" - a bridge over the river near Rhaeadr Fawr and footpath gravelling. Having said that, I haven't been there for at least ten years.

S