1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Andy Murray

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jack D3200, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Jack D3200

Jack D3200 Well-Known Member

What should be done, and by whom, to recognise Andy Murray's contribution to tennis in the UK?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Nothing. (purely a personal opinion of course)

Zou, peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

He was made a knight of the realm in 2017, having already been awarded the OBE in 2013 - both awards, I believe, being based on his services to tennis in the UK.

The 2018 Sunday Times Rich List estimated his net worth at £83 million.

Now, I'll openly admit that I don't like the chap - he comes across to me as a miserable, whining sort of bloke and his recent press conference only served to reinforce that opinion - however I acknowledge the massive contribution he's made to the sport of tennis in the UK. That said, I think that the expenditure of any public funds to recognise this multi-millionaire knight of the realm would be an absolute travesty when there are people relying on food banks for their day-to-day existence.

Cheers, Jeff

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

He has a golden post box and a memorial bench alongside his Sirness and more pounds than he can shake a stick at. What more does he want?

Zou, peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Lord Murray of Wimbledon, perhaps? The perfect accolade: a substantially pointless and meaningless accolade for pursuing a substantially pointless and meaningless game, when relatively few thinking people really care very much about either the title or the sport.

Cheers,

R.

Lindsay Pennell likes this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I differ in only one respect - I don't actually find him unlikeable. For me, it's simply that tennis is just a game. He chose to pursue it, and he has been handsomely rewarded for his efforts.

In my book, that's all there is to it. Nothing more is needed.

AndyTake2, Zou, Geren and 1 other person like this.
  7. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

I agree he has received enough accolades (and money) but have lots of sympathy for him. Persistent severe pain wears you down and before/after my hip replacement, 2 years ago, I was prone to bursting into tears too ! o_O

Geren, peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

They will name a leisure centre after him.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. peterba

Oh, I agree - I completely sympathise with him, regarding his health problems.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

Who better to run UK Tennis ?

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't know, who?

We don't know how good he is at administration. Being a good player doesn't necessarily translate into being a good coach, or being a good administrator. On the evidence we have, his mother would currently be better qualified.

Gezza, RogerMac, Roger Hicks and 2 others like this.
  12. peterba

How about........ me? I know very little about tennis, and since Gove assured us all that "people in this country have had enough of experts", I reckon I should be in with a chance. ;)

Roger Hicks and Benchista like this.
  13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I personally don't have any issues with the large amount of money top sports people earn.

Whether we as individuals like sport is irrelevant. Sport is global on a massive scale. Sportswear companies and television to name but two make an awful lot of money on the backs, so to speak, of the top performers.

Surely it's only right they get well rewarded.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Only if they pay a fair amount of tax. 95% seems reasonable to me.

15. Bill Stewardson

I’m truly shocked that being a “good player” doesn’t mean being a good admin.
    He is currently regarded as a global icon regarding fighting sexism in his sport, women across the world have praised his work in this area.
    He is respected by the vast majority of players .
    Working with Judy Murray would be the perfect start for him in the admin role.
    I hope the authorities realise this and approach him.
    If it didn’t work out, who would say it wasn’t worth a look ?

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pretty much anyone who was actually qualified for the job and had been working toward that goal for years?

Catriona and Roger Hicks like this.
  17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well pretty obviously

1 Anyone who cared about tennis;
    2 Anyone who wasn't unnecessarily foolish and foolhardy, and
    I'm sure he has a lot to give to the game, if that's the direction he wants to turn to, then I'm sure it's a goal he can work towards. But to say just to give him the job is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while - I mean what if Roger Federer also retired now - in what way is Murray more qualified than him? Or either Williams sister? They've all achieved a lot more than Murray, so by your reckoning, presumably should be even better choices?

Any job should go to the best possible applicant for it, not simply be handed to someone who has been good in a completely different role - that's just lunacy.

Learning and Roger Hicks like this.
  18. Bill Stewardson

Perhaps you missed the bit where I said “perfect start for him”, then again, perhaps not.
    As for RF being suitable to run UK Tennis, that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen in a long while. Unless of course he’s grown up in UK tennis and has a mother with a wealth of UK tennis experience . Or is that yet more lunacy ?

Always nice to chat.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Didn't Murray's success rely on training outside of the UK?

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

There’s an ice hockey coach who is chief exec. of a premier league football club. Clive Woodward may have been a second rate rugby player, but he has helped many other sports.