1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analog cameras

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Grace Deane, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Grace Deane

Grace Deane Well-Known Member

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

It depends what you mean by "analog" cameras. (Or maybe it doesn't.)

All photography is "analogue" in the sense that all cameras produce images that are analogous representations of the subject that was photographed. Sometimes "analogue" is used - completely and utterly incorrectly - as the opposite of "digital". That error originated (I think) when meter readouts and instruments such as clocks became available with displays that showed digits rather than the more usual needle(s)-on-dial display. However, the error is now so widespread that it may have crept in to some dictionaries. That is how our language evolves - by common usage rather than by factual correctness.

If you are really asking if film or plate cameras, employing a light-sensitive emulsion, are more suited to portrait photography, all I can answer is that such cameras are used by enthusiasts for a number of genres of photography - certainly including portraiture. Those enthusiasts will claim that they can obtain tonal qualities from emulsions - especially on large format plates - that they suggest cannot be easily achieved with small-sensor digital cameras. Some landscape photographers might make similar claims.

But you do have to be an enthusiast and spend a lot of time acquiring and honing your skills to achieve such superior results.

Me? I sold my last medium format film cameras a few years ago and, to be honest, I no longer miss them.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not sure if the question is about what type of subject is best suited to film cameras, or if film cameras are the best type of camera for portraits.

Either way, though, the answer is that you should use whatever type of camera that gets you the results you want.

spinno and PhotoEcosse like this.
  4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Large format probably gives the widest tonal possibilities. But is difficult in almost every other aspect. Medium format is possibly the best compromise of the film formats, but is all but obsolete...Digital wins hand down in practically every way in terms of both handling and results.

Footloose likes this.
  5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Normally I always argue for the superiority if digital but 5 or more years ago I went to an exhibition in the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens (of all places) that consisted of colour prints from an 8x10 camera that had been taken of the citizens of a mid-western town some considerable number of years before but only then just developed. Presumably the delay in developing was the result of the expense but the results were just different. I can not describe why but they had a quality that little else has.